All Mountain / Trail Build Advice

TheV

If you have the moola then an Ibis HD or a Nomad.

Do you the moolah for a HD? rolleyes.gif

Or buy Schmoose's bike, its a seriously good deal!

What is this bike you speak of?

Edited by The Crow

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 150mm travel Carbon all mountain bike for sale, cheap cheap.

What bike you got for sale? Not on the marketplace, can't find anything....

What bike you got for sale? Not on the marketplace, can't find anything....

I think he mentioned to me at some stage that he had a Trek Remedy, or something along those lines... Am I right?

TheV - don't stuff around mate!

Get the 5Spot, a Santa Cruz TRc or an Intense Carbide...if you have the moola then an Ibis HD or a Nomad.

Or buy Schmoose's bike, its a seriously good deal!

13.1kgs aint very light for cash you will be dropping for those puppies you mentioned initially, or are my maff's a bit out?

Uhmmm - how much moola for the Ibis?

My official position with the wife, family and anyone who would judge me is that they all cost about the same... basically all my bikes cost about "10k". When I do get into trouble is when the bank manager calls her to check that a Nigerian credit card syndicate didn't get hold of my credit card details....

If I have to be honest I dont want to spend more than 25k I do have a XT group set and wheel set already, so except for the frame, forks, bars and other odds I should manage to build a decent bike. That said I'm not going to compromise and lose out if an opportunity presents itself... Might "find" a couple extra moola if I have to.

Wow, that's INTENSE - that has VPP suspension, all the other bikes suggested use DW link... Whats the difference in a nutshell?

In a nutshell? The DW-Link is better! biggrin.gif

Wow, that's INTENSE - that has VPP suspension, all the other bikes suggested use DW link... Whats the difference in a nutshell?

The difference in a nutshell depends on the type of nut, as well as the proximity of squirrels and ambient temperature.

More squirrels = larger differences in the nutshells. Higher ambient temperature means more difference in the nutshells. The difference between an acorn and a pistachio is more than the difference between a peanut and a walnut and the same acorn.

I have a Trek remedy 9.9 2010 for sale, M/L. Frame and headset with a 1/18 adapter for the tapered headset if your fork is not tapered. I have no idea what i'm selling it for but last time I offered it to someone it was crazy cheap, bugger bought a nomad.

Edited by schmoose

In a nutshell? The DW-Link is better! biggrin.gif

Haha, sure sure!

TheV, like Colonel Mayhem said, it all depends on what kind of squirrel you are... I have a friend who rides a Pivot Mach 5 (DW-Link) which I have to admit is very smooth, and I ride an Intense which is of course VPP, it's also not really what you'd call crap. Both are very, very good.

Haha, sure sure!

TheV, like Colonel Mayhem said, it all depends on what kind of squirrel you are... I have a friend who rides a Pivot Mach 5 (DW-Link) which I have to admit is very smooth, and I ride an Intense which is of course VPP, it's also not really what you'd call crap. Both are very, very good.

Ha ha! Stop trying to be polite Martin! VPP ROCKS !!!!

In all honesty, most designs are good or at least good enough. And I don't mean that in a negative way. Very few riders know how to set a bike up properly even less can get the last 25% out of their bike's suspension. This is mainly because most riders have the bike set up at their LBS and then ride it till it's next service. Never experimenting with compression, rebound, sag and the likes.

Most manufacturers have been using the same design for years so have had time to optimize it, but for me a good design is one that can be run plush enough for small and medium hits and bumps, yet stay "firm" enough to not bob of wallow through its stroke. This has as much to do with what the bike is optimized for as it does the suspension design used.

Of all the designs tried and bikes ridden the DW is easiest to achieve this. I have always been able to run my bike (SL and HD) on the softer side to increase grip and traction, but have never bottomed either of the two out. And the great thing is this MECCA is not a narrow band. I have noted that other bikes can achieve this, but it's a very thin line and once you go over or under things change dramatically and it takes quite a bit of time to achieve the perfect balance.

From 5-Spot review on Bikeradar:

So how does the dw-link setup work? Whenever you accelerate on any bike, however smoothly, you lighten the front and shift your weight to the back. Shock damping, and in particular platform damping, tries to prevent this transfer of body mass from combining with drive force and compressing the rear shock, known as ‘squat’. But excessive shock damping also stifles the way a bike deals with bumps.

The dw-link is designed to resist the transfer of body mass without interfering with bump sensitivity. Whatever gear you’re in on the 5 Spot, unwanted compression and pedal feedback feel all but eliminated, while small bump response is retained, resulting in great traction, a predictable and controllable ride feel on terrain that’s hard to read, and a stable pedalling platform on uphill sections.

The 5 Spot manages to encapsulate all that is good about the dw-link design. When the terrain points down, or when barrelling headlong into tight corners, hard braking barely seems to affect the suspension action. Square-edged bumps are softened and traction is improved by the rear wheel axle path – initially super-soft and rearward, nicely balanced with the fork in the middle of the stroke, increasingly damped as you head to maximum travel. In short, ideal for ragged technical terrain but in no way a compromise when the going is smoother.

Short, stiff links between the mainframe and the swingarm ensure that the Turner never exhibits any off-putting flex under extreme situations, contributing to the way our test bike went up hills faster than we expected it to after hanging it on the scales.

Edited by The Crow

Howzit

I would go for the Tomac but not the XX Reveleation, rather the RLT Ti.

My Friend is selling a complete Ibis Mojo SLR Complete for R25k.

Sure? They haven't even shipped yet from Ibis HQ.

Howzit

I would go for the Tomac but not the XX Reveleation, rather the RLT Ti.

Year, condition, spec? Contact details please...