Shimano Dura-Ace Di2: 11-speed and disc brakes for 2013?

NotSoBigBen

Once you lock up the wheel, the stopping force is reduced since the tyre is sliding. The point at which the wheel starts to lock represents the maximum stopping force and maximum needed braking force. Any braking force above that point isn't doing anything. ABS keeps the tyre just that point of maximum force. It would work just as well on drum or disc brakes.

Disc brakes offer better performance on a car since they dissipate heat better and are less susceptible to brake fade etc. They give a more consistent performance under continuous, repeated braking. On most bicycle wheels (with the possible exception of carbon wheels on long descents), the amount of heat accumulated is not an issue.

Well, that does it. I'm taking the discs off my mtb, and will never get em on a road bike.

Well, that does it. I'm taking the discs off my mtb, and will never get em on a road bike.

But why?

My point is simply that the reasons for using discs on a bicycle are not all the same as the reasons for using discs on a motor vehicle.