MTB pedals

E-man

I have just been through the old process. Shimano SPD's, ritchey spd's then I went egg beaters, then Look quartz now back to Shimano XT spd's. Eggbeaters didn't last long at all (older version) look qurtz were very nice except the cleats only last 6 months max then u start to un-clip all the time. Even the crank brothers brass cleats seemed to last longer. Back to shimano XT pedals 2012. Strong reliable and work every time.

You may not be able to un-clip on your current ones due to the tension, but if they worked before without you changing the setting spray some Q-20 on the springs. I had this problem before and it was just the springs a little tight from dirt etc.

If you go eggbeaters consider the candy's. The bigger platform helps alot. Going from the eggbeaters to the look quartz was great due to the larger platform.

Cranks Bros are the only pedals I know of where you can actually buy a rebuild kit (and actually fine one in quite a few shops). Which I guess is great as you can easily rebuild them when they fail, which is not so great as I believe they fail quite a lot.

I don't know about cleats getting stuck in Shimano pedals and causing you to fall but I can't see that changing to say Eggbeaters would help with that - they have no adjustment, so you cannot loosen the spring tension if you find them too tight.

Someone else said pedals are just things to enable you to pedal your bike (or something along those lines) so I'd stick to the most reliable I could find and if you're worried about your cleats getting stuck, ones where you can adjust the spring tension. I've used Shimano XTRs for years and never had 1 minute's crap with them. And I've never serviced them either - took them apart once and they had not one bit of dust inside.

XTs are a bit cheaper and if they're like the rest of XT stuff they're just as long lasting as XTR at a much lower price point.