How to fix a punctured tube sucessfully

peevee

In Nigeria they actually VULCANISE the Okada (125cc motorbike taxis) tubes. They have a little pot that they heat up by burning some tubes. This heats up two flat parts above it. The top part is weighted. They place a piece of tube on the tube that is being repaired and use the two "irons" to weld the new patch with heat. Will try to get a pic tomorrow.

although most people just buy a new tube, and I do most times,

Please save their tubes for me. I can't afford a new tube for every little puncture. I patch em till there's more patch than choob showing. Hell, I've got tubes with patches on patches...

Stick a toothpick or similar in the hole. Pull it out when you're ready to put on the patch (obviously).

Just do not stick it all the way through! :lol: :lol:

Maruni patch rolls are the answer.

http://www.maruni-ind.co.jp/english/products/index.php?act=detail&mid=7&page=1&sid=25

When I remember to fix my punctured tubes I get them off the shelf along with the puncture repair kit, a clamp and two blocks of wood- old parquet floor blocks, and park off in front of the TV. I cut my patches to size off a roll of Maruni patch repair and trim off the sharp corners with a scissors. Check link. The bike shop will have them in their workshops and it will last for ages. I carry a strip in my camelbak when I'm on my MTB because they will make fantastic gators on my tubeless if I get a cut.

I then prepare the tube for the patch like the okes have said above then I clamp them between the two blocks and leave them overnight. I never ahve a problem with my patched tubes, but I draw the line at patching a snakebite puncture. These tubes become my stretchies.

I find snakebites fix up quite nicely. I have a tube that must weigh three times it's original weight, and is 50/50 black and orange. :blush:

In fact, my puncture repairs are down to ±5mins, I don't even pull the wheel off anymore. The only time I've had repeated leaks was with a stick on type patch or after slime pissed out on the tube... no going back after that.