Take care riding near Diepsloot

MTB_Nutter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think that Just Keep Pedalling is wrong to suggest that certain areas have more attacks than others and that its sensible to try and avoid these areas.

One that note, I asked on another thread what the situation is like at Northern Farm at the moment, and it seems as though its fairly under control. Are there any more opinions on that?

@ the OP, sorry for the thread hijack.

Katy, yes there are areas that are more dangerous, I think it was more in the way that it was put forth.

Also suggesting that they don't aim to kill is having a false sense of security.

Look at the link posted earlier.

We need to realise, (and yes this will sound racist) that a pale face is worthless nowadays, it's easy to kill when you won't get caught.

Ballistics in this country "cost too much" and it's too easy to say that "we won't find the culprit amongst all the impoverished"

We are worth less to them than the bicycle we are riding.

Northern Farms is relatively secure thanks to Simon and his team :thumbup:

But don't think the crooks can't and wont jump a fence.

3 Weeks before the Carte Blanche insert, one of my lady friends was attacked and beaten in between houses in a residential area and her bike was taken, she screamed and people heard her but chose to ignore her, beaten she went in to a property where a white piece of trash even demanded that he will need for her to pay him some money for a lift home, she had no choice.

@Scotty.

This is how I see things till now.

The Carte Blanche bikes were recovered from what we assume are guys involved in the syndicate.

These bikes were taken on the weekend (at knife point still at that stage) then the thugs wait for the dust to settle a bit till the Monday or Tuesday, they wait for a time when commuters are at work and people are no longer using the roads so heavily.

Normally around 10:00 am.

That is when these thugs and in some instances a runner, take the bikes to their buyer.

It was one of those days when these dudes were spotted and hunted down which led to their arrest.

Carte Blanche eventually had a budget approved to run the story, we got 12 minutes instead of 10 and still people complained that they expected more :unsure:

Now these are bike jacked bikes, where are these bikes going ?

We don't know.

We had an investigator on the job, we had a road block in the freezing cold where Nathrix, Carpet and myself froze our alies off looking for stolen/bike jacked bikes, we saw very little.

The investigator did a great job keeping these thugs behind bars for a while and the court eventually approved bail.

Funding has run dry and as a result of this the investigator had to take a step back.

Now these thugs have been identified as the now same gun wielding crooks that have been involved in some of the latter bike jackings.

Bottom line, we need people to become active, we need people to ride in big groups and stand together and unite, the only way to get this done is to find the source and belonging to a group and doing awareness rides will not be enough to get this done.

So in short, money for an investigator will go a long way as he will fight in court for us, people need to become a little more proactive and come up with some suggestions.

We recently recovered Yolandi de Villier's old Specialized Era, it was ridden by a man who eventually threw the bike down and bolted off.

My guess, he knew it was a stolen bike and we also found out that the bike was stolen from a residence.

I will say that the jacked bikes are going to a different market than the bikes stolen from housebreakings.

I will say that the jacked bikes are going to a different market than the bikes stolen from housebreakings.

great post, thanx dangle... Can you say more about this market?? Does this mean gumtree type stuff or out of the country? Or...?

Thanks to everybody for your comments. Please just be careful and remember that your bikes, phones etc are only material goods and are probably insured. Losing them is a much better option then losing your life trying to protect something that can be replaced. Life can never be replaced.