Speed wobble ???

ark

So yesterday on my ride (MTB) whilst going downhill on tar road at about 30km/h i let go of my bars like i usually do to chill a bit, and the next minute i get this serious speed wobble !! So i grab on again and try again and the same thing happens, again & again.

This has never happened before. Any one out there know what could be causing this ?

Someone told me could be the sealant but this was well into my ride so surely it was all spread out ?

Not maybe ET sitting on your bars?

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

Good one but no, he went home already. Old photo.

Stiffness of your frame.Old or new frame.If a frame is getting old stiffness is lost

Reminds me of something a heard from Dr Ruth, but instead of frames, she spoke about men!:lol:

correct me if i'm wrong, but does the fact that he took away the direct force upon the handle bar contribute to the wobble? I've always thought a speed wobble occurs when there isn't enough weight on the front wheel which makes the bike unstable. (usually happens to me when going over 80/90km.h tho. I'm fairly light weight)

must be the headset, check it again.

or what about water in the rim, did you ride through any rivers recently?

I have had this when a tire was not seated straight....so it was actually the tire causing the wobble....

Did you change anything on the bike recently?

Was there a side wind?

Is your wheel seated properly in the dropouts, check both front and rear?

Did you change anything on the bike recently?

Was there a side wind?

Is your wheel seated properly in the dropouts, check both front and rear?

Here we go again....

We've been through this and your last theory was friction - static, I think, that caused the wheelbase to shorten.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/13403-speed-wobble/page__hl__harmonic__st__20

How do you foresee a sidewind inducing a speed wobble?

Thanks for all your input guys.

Will go through the bike thouroghly again.

It's a dual sus so stiffness is not an issue.

I'm just concerned because it has never happened before and i'm always riding "no hands"