Cricket......

E1A104

there's another final on the go too.

the old Currie cup/castle cup/ supersport series. The premier 4 day tournament, remember the mean machine at newland sin the 80s over new years, that's the one?!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/csa-4-day-series-division-1-2023-24-1394541/lions-vs-western-province-final-1394658/full-scorecard

no live commentary even, but it is on supersport. looks like there are more security guards than spectators.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

there's another final on the go too.

the old Currie cup/castle cup/ supersport series. The premier 4 day tournament, remember the mean machine at newland sin the 80s over new years, that's the one?!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/csa-4-day-series-division-1-2023-24-1394541/lions-vs-western-province-final-1394658/full-scorecard

no live commentary even, but it is on supersport. looks like there are more security guards than spectators.

As a laaitie i spent many days under the old Oaks, watching the likes of Graeme Pollock, Terrence Lazard, Garth le Roux and many more legends playing the old Castle/Currie Cup. Back then, the B field was where Kelvin Grove is now and we’d have our games of cricket in between all the parked cars, my old man supporting the sponsors in the beer tent. I remember seeing a 16yo DJ Cullinan coming up into the system and scoring bucketloads of runs against first class cricketers that would have made most international sides. Aaaah the good ol’ days… when running onto the field to give Mr Pollock a sip of beer when reaching his hundred was still par for the course 🤣

It’s sad to see the lack of interest in this once almighty domestic competition. It’s a by-product of many things wrong with cricket administration (locally and internationally) as well as the many other distractions available to us humans. The red-ball game still lights a fire in my heart though. 

As a 4yo laaitie (circa 1983) we would go camping every Christmas holiday, back in the Voortrekker Caravan Park in Strand. We camped in the same spot every year, next to the Anker family. Francois Anker played scrumhalf for EP and Pienaar Anker played cricket for Boland. I’d play parkie cricket for hours with these gents and all of the other fathers and sons in the campsite. I miss those times. 

1 hour ago, gemmerbal said:

we are chasing 155, bowled the Kiwis out and we are 67/2 after 12 overs

Thanks so much.  I have dozens of cricket channels and none of them were showing this.  Edit: Great win, klapped the Kiwis.

Edited by justinafrika

4 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Thanks so much.  I have dozens of cricket channels and none of them were showing this.  Edit: Great win, klapped the Kiwis.

Yes boys! Can we now consider our World Cup duck to be broken?