My Saffer test dream team at the moment:

Smith

Alviro

Amla (moves to number 2)

Kallis

AB

JP

Faf

Quinton de Kock (the kid can bat a bit, but I'd give him another season or so of domestic cricket first)

Johan Botha (we need a front line spinner and he can bat as well) or Aaron Phangiso (I think the kid's got something about him)

Dale

Rory Kleinveld

Vernon

Morne

With Faf and JP to take responibility for filling the role of spinners and Smith to work on his field placing for spinners

Edited by MorewoodMad

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks the real deal! I would alspo bring him in insteed of Thami ...

AB is given the chance to mould himself into the all-rounder 'keeper.

His effort during the morning session, alongside Faf, will justify his current role even more.

Remind me?

:-)

Yes, please do.

@ Puncteur. Fatty has some of the most ama-zzzzzing averages. Dunno where he bought them because to me he is consistently inconsistent.

He is an aggressive batsman, but I think his biggest shortcoming is playing across the line too early in his innings. It's one of his strengths and ironically, his biggest weakness. (IN my tiny mind anyway.)

One day he plays well and the next, he ranks right up there with Mr Cullinan and Mrs Hudson. Then just when I think he should be shot, he produces a gem of an innings. Makes him to mercurial and unpredictable.

I agree with Phangiso, that kid is having a great season and is sure to have a bright career. I would rather have him in the team than Johan Botha. We need to shift our mindset to giving more youngsters exposure to the international scene.

I would possibly keep AB as keeper in the shorter formats but not in the test arena

He's well respected by the team, ol' Smith...

That counts for a lot.

Ask any Aussie to select one player in the SA side they'd rather not see in Perth and most will say Grahame. What he lacks in technique, he makes up for with presence on and off the field and sheer determination. He'd still be opening the batting in my World XI at the mo.

Then just when I think he should be shot, he produces a gem of an innings. Makes him to mercurial and unpredictable.

and that boils down to his $h1t attitude - it almost like he suddenly realises his position is in jeopardy and he focuses on the task at hand and produces a gem...and then sits back and relaxes - he lacks some passion in my opinion

I agree with Phangiso, that kid is having a great season and is sure to have a bright career. I would rather have him in the team than Johan Botha. We need to shift our mindset to giving more youngsters exposure to the international scene.

I would possibly keep AB as keeper in the shorter formats but not in the test arena

Agree there, but Thami is not the right choice as replacement. He's 32/33 and he doesn't know which side to hold the bat. Perhaps they should look at Kuhn to keep in the test side?

CUT, CUT

AB wants to be a batsman. Why coerce him to do something he doesn't really want to be doing?

I think they should find a keeper.( Pun intended). And let AB get on with what he is really good at. Batting (and being a very useful fielder.)

Who could be Smith's successor as Cap?

Hasim, assuming that Gary continues to coach. They seem to be cut from the same cloth with temperament and the calm and collected way they play the game.

Ask any Aussie to select one player in the SA side they'd rather not see in Perth and most will say Grahame. What he lacks in technique, he makes up for with presence on and off the field and sheer determination. He'd still be opening the batting in my World XI at the mo.

Opposition teams are scared sh1tless of Biff, I rate him really highly. On what he has achieved when handed the captaincy as a 22 / 23 year old for SA and his own personal record, eventhough never winning any ICC competitions

AB wants to be a batsman. Why coerce him to do something he doesn't really want to be doing?

What is in the interest if the team, not the individual, matters more...

Agree there, but Thami is not the right choice as replacement. He's 32/33 and he doesn't know which side to hold the bat. Perhaps they should look at Kuhn to keep in the test side?

Agreed THami is not the answer, already too old, sorry if I was not clear in earlier posts but PLEASE don't select Thami.

Kuhn played well yesterday, has a bit more experience but I would love to see Quinton take the gloves

I think they should find a keeper.( Pun intended). And let AB get on with what he is really good at. Batting (and being a very useful fielder.)

In the shorter format it allows you to play another bowler batsman, but ideally a permanent keeper will be found in all forms of the game. AB keeping is a short term sollution that does not seem to be working too well at the moment

and that boils down to his $h1t attitude - it almost like he suddenly realises his position is in jeopardy and he focuses on the task at hand and produces a gem...and then sits back and relaxes - he lacks some passion in my opinion

Which he makes up for with arrogance. I think that's what we dislike about the Ausies and what I dislike about Fatty.

Yes, he has good stats but what good is that if you lose games you should win? Statistically, we are a much better side.

And if Shane Watson makes it into the side for the next test, I think we are going to lose the match.