Noob MTB advice..

Rage

Hey Everybody,

I have been looking at getting into mountain biking for a long time now. But really havent known where to begin. I have been getting advice from Merida riders... And with the new range coming out, I now have an oppertunity to purchase the 2011 one twenty 500 at a good price.

I raced BMX's all my life growing up, gave it up when I turned 17. I have done a bit of jumping since then(big jumps). So as to where I will be riding, I will be doing cross country, trails, etc. And I somehow dont think I will be taking it easy down the trails.

Do you recon this would be a good bike to start with? It fits my budget. I never knew this would be this confusing, MTBing is complicated. lol. What would I be limited to with this bike?

Any advice would be greatly appreciatted!!! :unsure:

Hey bro,

welcome to the Hub!

As for what the 120 will be good for: It's a 120mm XC/Trail bike, that is reasonably well kitted. As for what it'll be able to take, well, that depends on your skill level. Seeing as you raced BMX's, I'd be prepared to say that you're pretty smooth over the rough stuff, and know how to handle a bike. That will enable you to do stuff on this that the average rider wouldn't be able to do on a 160mm AM machine. It's all about technique.

Just the other day (a few months back) when we were building in Tokai on the DH track, there was a guy testing the trails on a Giant Trance (also a 120mm trail bike) and he was keeping up with, if not riding faster than, guys on full DH bikes. And doing it very smoothly.

In terms of limitations - if you're smooth, you probably won't find many in the trails we have here. You'd be surprized what you COULD do on a bike, given suitable skills.

As for the rest of it, I think you're on the right track. Yes, for the average person, longer travel means more capability. BUT - that's the average person, who is not skilled enough to float over the rocks etc.

For a comparison - look at what Danny Megaskills rides - nothing huge in terms of travel (I think 120mm as well, could be wrong) but his technique & skill levels let him glaze over something that would flummox pretty much every other person on a bike with twice the travel.

dude ... buy what best suits your pocket! As for the Merida's they are good allround bikes that will be perfect fro you to use to get into the sport. Buy it ... ride it for a year or 2 and then sell it and get something better when you know you are hooked properly and want to do better.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I need to run with it. Unless someone else can tell me if I can get anything better for less than R9000.

Heres the specs on the 500. Im a 16 inch. Or so I have been told.

SPEEDS: 27

SIZE: 16-18-20-22"

FRAME: One-Twenty Comp-D BC A-Link

FORK: Rock Shox Tora TK Coil 120 Taper

DERAILLEUR FRONT: Shimano Deore high 34.9

DERAILLEUR REAR: Shimano XT-9

SHIFTER: Shimano Deore Rapidfire

BRAKE: Shimano M445 180/180 mm

CHAINWHEEL: Shimano Deore 44-32-22

CHAIN: Shimano CN-HG53

HUB: Shimano M435 centerlock

RIM: Matts PRO D

FREEWHEEL: Shimano CS-HG50-9 11-34

SPOKES: Black stainless

TIRE: Merida Trail 2.25

HANDLEBAR: FSA XC 282L OS R18 660

STEM: FSA OS-190 6°

HEADSET: Big Conoid Neck

SEAT POST: FSA SL280 SB25 31.6

SADDLE: X-Mission Side-3

Welcome mate!! You are in the same boat as me. Because of budget and wanting to get a good solid dual-sus bike, i opted to build up mine with great results. All in all I built up myself a dual-sus GT idx4 for about R7000 complete.

You can check my thread here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/108042-soggys-mountain-bike-build-finally/page__p__1493095

Good luck!

Edited by Soggy

Thats not a bad response, some of my mates have told me if Im not spending around 20k to saty away from dual suspension. One of the other guys who runs a shop here has told me to run with the GT sensor at the same price. lol. all a bit confusing.

Bought myself a 1-20 800 last year november! What an awesome bike, with enough travel and good handling.

Ok, i must admit, I have changed almost every part on the bike, but not due to failure,but purely due to addiction!

Still enjoying my merida, and havent looked back!

Buy it, but beware, cos when the bug bites.....BIG K@K :drool:

PS: I have a rock shox recon solo air for sale - will fit perfectly :clap:

Edited by Smolster