Carbon Rails

Schnavel

I recently got a Selle Italia SLR with carbon rails. I have a kcnc seat post on my bike and when I tighten the bolts, I'm always worried about cracking the carbon rails. When ever I go out riding, the saddle slides backwards which then leads to my knees hurting!

I don't have a torque wrench so I have no idea how much I can safely tighten the bolts, would the best method be to take my bike to my LBS and let them tighten it for me?

Owning a carbon bike or carbon bits and pieces without a torque wrench. Is like running in the dark with scissors and no flashlight.

Owning a carbon bike or carbon bits and pieces without a torque wrench. Is like running in the dark with scissors and no flashlight.

Ditto

A very worthwhile investment.

Yup I guess that's true! Now I just need to get hold of a torque wrench... :unsure:

And not just any Torque Wrench either, you need one that can measure down to around 2NM. Fortunately CRC has them available. I bought mine, the BBB version, from Johan Bornman. Use it all the time.

Some carbon rails are smaller or even oval shaped. Some seatpost manufacturers actually make special clamps to be used with carbon rails. Try a seatpost that can take carbon rails.

Yup I guess that's true! Now I just need to get hold of a torque wrench... :unsure:

I got the PRO one. Cost about R600 and works like a bomb.

With most bicycles being carbon or laced with carbon bits the saving is even more apparent beyond the seat? From the 2 carbon posts i have, they can be tightened to 12NM, i only tighten to 9NM tho.

Erm.....do you think your LBS uses a torque wrench when they strip and re-build your bike? Just a thought :rolleyes: