Warning, event thieves!!

joevan

AngryAngry

The new South Africa strikes again!!

At this morning's Tygerberg MTB race, a friend had his bakkie broken into for the third time at races this year, money, car licence, drivers licence, gearlock key and house keys all taken.

While he was still on the race, a stranger phoned his home number looking for a "John" Fortunately his son was at home, so thier obvious plan of  relocating further of his assets was thwarted.

The last time this happened, at the Koringberg race, they got hold of his brother's credit cards, which were used to purchase R50000.00 worth of goods at Makro Milnerton that same morning.

How do we stop this. All it takes is a few people in cycling clothes wandering around amongst the cars, nobody will suspect them unless they are actually seen breaking in.

This is obviously an organised group who are targetting cyclists attending events.
joevan2007-12-16 13:01:18

next time you at a race in that specific area set up a vehicle the same vehicle, but hide some one in it or in the bush to watch and record them. then ambush them. eat or be eaten i say!

a friend of mine has a klippies bottle filled with a concoction of brake fluid, degreaser and brandy, but since he mixed it and put it in his car no one's broken in.

He had his car broken into at Nasrec while he at Auto Africa for the day. His house was cleaned out with NO sign of forced entry which caused all sorts of insurance problems. 

I like both ideas, in fact I already suggested to my friend that he leave something nice to eat in the car, laced with a liberal dose of

anti-constipation remedy

At the Koringberg event, they actually left the wallets with cash in and even in the same place in the car, it was only later in the afternoon when the brother went shopping that he realised his credit cards were missing.

These guys are obviously regular readers of the event calendar, but not for the same reasons we cyclists read it.
joevan2007-12-16 13:52:27

the ppa marshals will rather scout the B bunch (by the way not really the A bunch and not cyclists the same age as them) to pull stickers off handlebars - to then mess up R2000 plus helmets... VS protecting your car and its contents!!

1976man, don't even go there!

They will claim it's not in thier mandate to do so, that's if you can get them to respond at all!!

Funny how entry fees keep increasing though.

Maybe the idea of getting motor cycle clubs to police rides that was suggested in the recent crossing the line debates, was not a bad one. We could get a few "Hells Angel" types to cruise the car parks.

I got a solution,just dont attend the ppa rides they are always disorganised and pose allsorts of issues,hey its just my personal opinion..

a friend of mine has a klippies bottle filled with a concoction of brake fluid' date=' degreaser and brandy, but since he mixed it and put it in his car no one's broken in.

He had his car broken into at Nasrec while he at Auto Africa for the day. His house was cleaned out with NO sign of forced entry which caused all sorts of insurance problems. 
[/quote']

He should start selling his Klippies bottle as a security system...... eish!!!!!!

The thing is that membership fees keeps going up but what are they using the funds for?.If their was a noticable difference than its understandable.However thats not the case.In my opinion either the top guys are earning a fat packet or theirs a funds management problem.PersonaIly i had enough and decided not to attend ppa rides anymore,i feel its not worth it,and a total service failure.U dont get your moneys worth.Theirs allways a problem either with refreshments,traffic etc.An example;the burger 2weeks ago, a buddy had 2 give another guy a R10 2go buy water cause their was no water avail and the next water point was 20odd km away so he was told,rather over budget than under.The only way i would attend a ppa ride is if somebody can get me the financial statements,i would like to see where my fees is goin2.

Mak-daddy why don't you ask PPA for their financial statements. They don't keep them a secret, in fact they are available for scrutiny by anyone who wants to have a look. If you go to the PPA AGM you will even get given a copy.

this has been happening for years , they even target the bikes. one of the ppa committee members had hers stolen at the start (False Bay RC) when she propped it up against the fence and then went to pay to enter. its organised crime

I am sorry to hear about the theft, but this is SA we know crime is rife. You simply cant leave valuables in your car. Only take your drivers license and credit cards to a race and put them in your pocket when you ride.

too true, ff, too true. it's amazing how many people still drive around the cbd with laptops, phones and other valuables on the passenger seats. then they get all surprised when a smash and grabber helps himself to their stuff.