how to restore levers on STI shifters

M Hickley

The clear lacquer on my Ultegra STI levers is starting to peel and doesn't look very cool at the moment. They work perfectly fine. Is there a way I can have them looking like new?

I was quoted R150 to have mine professionally polished and have the scratches sanded and removed.

The lady advised me not to clear coat them. She said that if there is even a hint of an air bubble under the clear coat, the aluminium will start to corode under the clear coat and you get these funny marks that look as if snails have been crawling over. Mine already look like this.

She said that I must just polish them from time to time and they will look perfect.

I'm not sure if I want to heed her advise. I was thinking of spraying them with a tinted clear coat.

trouble with a clear coat is ... its designed as a top coat and not as a primer. so the adhesion is not so great and this is where your oxidation starts :(