Training Program for Baberton 2012

Pieterg

No fundi on training programmes but just get used to riding a long climb, both the 45 and the 75 have approximately a 15km climb. This comes after about 10k on the 75 and after 5k on the 45k. The road / track is fairly good just unrelenting and continous.

Barberton was my first Marathon ever. I still rate it as one of my favourite races. You are really going to enjoy it and the scenery is unbelievable!!

Also doing it, got a score to settle after last year very long day in the saddle.

btw, you have to be granny gear fit if you are going to use it blink.gif

My plan is to incorporate at least 2 looong climbs on my training rides.

Enjoy the Des training

Nar

What is the gradient of the climb do anybody knows?

I don't know the gradient, but I don't think its insane. Its more the fact that the hill has no respite for 15km that makes it a killer. Remember, if you in granny gear or around there, 15km at 7-8km/h will take you 2 hours just on the climb. My first year was like that, but have improved since then thank goodness.

Still probably my favourite race on the calendar.

This was my first race ever, so looking forward to a rematch this year! Climb is tough & long, but after that the view, river crossings and downhill make it awesome!

Hallo PieterG, the Barberton climb requires you to operate very close to your maximum level of effort for quite a while - it is not so much about the climbing, its about enduring ... climbing "is in jou been, jou kopbeen"! There is much more to it than leg strength, it is more about 1) increasing your lactate threshold to define you race pace, and then about 2) pacing strategy.

The trail is jeep track mostly, usually with limited mud. Your normal dry/hardpack tires will suffice at the rear. The descend after the climb requires relatively high speed cornering (I recorded 74km/h on one descend) so make sure you have an aggressive front tire. There are some very acute rocky climbs as well, so always be prepared to shift down rapidly, oh yes, also river crossings over wet rock. For the front I suggest Specialized Captain Control (for 29er) or Sauser Wind (for 26er). For the rear, try Specialized Fast Track.