how safe is my route?

headhunter2000

I'm planning to ride to Stellenbosh and back early on Christmas morning. My planned route is from Contermanskloof - Tygervalley - Oak dale - Bottelary - Stellenbosh - Polkadraai - kuilsrivier - bellville and back to Contermans. How safe is the road from Polkadraai through Kuilsriver?

Polkadraai / Kuilsrivier is safe, but traffic can get a bit hectic. But on Christmas morning it should not be a problem.

Safe riding.

Great route, 65k round trip from Welgemoed.

I normally do it in reverse Kuilsrivier - Polkadraai - Stellenbosh - Bottelary. That way you get to appreciate one of the most stunning cycling views known to man, coming down Polkadraai towards Stellies . Also, bypass the main road of Kuilsrivier by going down Bottelary and tuning right at the service station.

when you descend polka towards Kuils River turn right at the last traffic lights before the blackheath / kuils river intersection, follow the road to the circle then right into annandale rd, keep straight till you get to bottelray much safer and you miss all the robots.

just a word of warning - as you enter stellenbosch, riding past Kyamandi is a hot spot for bike muggings.

Sounds good! My Christmas morning ride is to the beach at 6 o'clock the again at 5 in the afternoon and still see the same peeps on the beach!