Mtb tyres for mud.....

gummibear

....and more mud.

I ride Conti X-King and Mountain Kings but today found that they were slipping quite often.At one stage my rear derailure was down in the mud.

What tyres can i try for good mud traction?

One of the best pure mud tyres for mtb, is Bontrager Mud-X. A while ago i saw a rating of mud tyres in the UK, and this was tops. It is 1.8 in size, genuine tubeless and very light .It has amazing traction and shred mud very well.

Your only problem is when the mud dry up. I would only use it if you expect mud throughout a race

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/review-bontrager-mud-x-tr-2in-9241/

"Great value grip, lightweight speed and tubeless ready too"

Bikeradar Review

User reviews

5 of 5 stars

Bontrager's Mud X TRs offer the best balance of grip and speed of any winter tyres we've tested. The square, slightly melted-looking knobs and rounded profile give consistently good grip in every direction and let you lean the bike right over in corners.

While they’re not the grippiest in any single given condition, the ‘GumBi’ 50/60 durometer dual compound rubber, with little diamond centre detail, makes the Mud X TRs great all-rounders. The tread looks like a scaled-down front motocross tyre, but its simple looks belie its performance. The square knobs dig into soft surfaces and their low, chamfered profile flings sticky mud off with glee.

The dual compound gives a hard-wearing and fast-rolling centre section, while the uber-soft 55a side compound sticks to all but the wettest of roots. The Mud X TRs stick consistently over roots, rocks and wet wood, and there’s no need to change your level of aggression over the changing surfaces.

While racers will go for the 1.8in version, even the 2.0in is relatively thin for cutting through the mire without losing too much speed. The fact the tread stays pretty clean all the time is a big advantage on bikes with tighter tyre clearances. The Mud X TR is light in the slightly fatter version too, it cleans quickly once you’re out of the slop and it feels more responsive and rapid than you’d expect for the consistent grip, so it's a fabulous filthy race tyre.

The supple carcass gives good ground moulding at lower pressures and it's tubeless ready, so a quick fill of sealant will make it even more connected. The beads aren’t so stiff you’ll struggle to fit or remove them on wet, dark nights if you do puncture.

We’ve never had issues with torn sidewalls or splitting in rocky sections while the tread lasts pretty well too, boosting their already good value for money. Considering the autumn-to-spring performance and other features, pricing is excellent. The tyre's only serious downside is that it’s a little low on carcass size for big-hitting riders.

Edited by Konaman

It is 1.95 in size, genuine tubeless and very light .It has amazing traction and shred mud very well.

Your only problem is when the mud dry up. I would only use it if you expect mud throughout a race

I spent a hour in mud so that's not a problem.

Funny thing is that a friend of mine rides 1.95 tyres and he had no problems.He rides snow tyres with spikes.

Gummi. How you doing in the land of no-longer-lay-oh-pard-trek?!

I find a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the front perfect for muddy stuff here in the Benelux. Rear wheel is not that impostant and I run a Racing Ralph and only get slideouts over roots and slippy corners. If it's too muddy for the Nobby's, it's probably time to get off and push!

Gummi. How you doing in the land of no-longer-lay-oh-pard-trek?!

I find a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the front perfect for muddy stuff here in the Benelux. Rear wheel is not that impostant and I run a Racing Ralph and only get slideouts over roots and slippy corners. If it's too muddy for the Nobby's, it's probably time to get off and push!

Going to the new Nissan Team launch on 6th January.

I see all the shops have the Nobby Nics so might be a good thing.Will see if i can get a set to try.

My front wheel kept sliding out and had MK on it.

I can vouch for the Bontragers, I used a pair in 1.8in (they were called Jones Mud X then) on the 2nd Sani2c which was a mudfest from hell. I rode where nobody, and I mean nobody else was riding at certain times, especially on the muddy climbs, they really are exceptional in the mud. When it dried up though.... they have the rolling resistance of snot on a blanket!

I use a Rocket Ron front, Racing Ralf rear combo which seems to be to be about the best all round solution I've found, and works surprisingly well in the mud. I would think the Nobby Nic would be even better on the front, so would concur with the recommendation.

Bontragers :clap:

I bought a pair for the Stellenbosch Mtb Challenge a few years back because that always turn into a mudfest. They shed mud really well and their dual compound rubber grips superbly anywhere else. They look a bit skinny on a burly bike though.

Cycling in mud is a loose-loose situation, which I loathe. And you get different grades of mud, worst is the very sticky slightly drying top soil mixed with cow dung.

I had a bad mud day today @ Van Gaalens, so bad my rear wheel actually stopped turning, bunged up solid around the swing arm and seat tube, and I had to drag the bike to a stream to do a wash down and prod out all the goo. All whilst I could have been canning it down Daggapad.