Suspension upgrade advice

W1Z@RD

Hi guys,

I am currently looking at upgrading my suspension on my Merida 96 dual sus. I currently have a manitou front shock and x mission rear which came with the bike and I have been told they are very entry level and heavy.

I have no experience in upgrading the suspension and wanted to know what ( other than weight) I should look out for?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Had the same issue, and reveived sound advice from my lbs.

Change the fork, there is nothing wrong with the x mission rear shock. I changed my rockshox recon to a rock shox SID and that has chnaged my ride completely and now my rear shock is no longer an issue.

My advice is to do it the front shock first and see if that gives you what you are looking for. If not, change to tubeless(if not already done. Make you rear shock your last priority as it will probably cost you R3000 to save 100 grams.

If you're upgrading to save weight... then do the front first like Smolster says. Reba XX, SID, Fox... plenty of options.

If you want to upgrade to change the ride... then replace the rear shock too... Fox RP23 is the way to go in my opinion.

Make your sums carefully. Replacing your fork and shock may well cost enough to justify selling your Merida and buying a new bike with the components you want. 2011 bikes will be going for great discounts now. Othewise I agree with both the above.

Excuse my appalling grammer and spelling above!

Not that fresh this morning.

I agree with DJR. My last set of upgrades cost more than I originally paid for my bike, but the upside is that my bike is unique and has all the components I want, and not what came with a complete bike

Excuse my appalling grammer and spelling above!

Not that fresh this morning.

I agree with DJR. My last set of upgrades cost more than I originally paid for my bike, but the upside is that my bike unique and has all the components I want, and not what came with a complete bike

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will go and see what the cost for a higher model and see what I can get for my current bike