Tyre sealant

granfondo

Among other useful (cycling) stuff, I was given some Conti Tyre Sealant for Christmas... Firstly, does this stuff work if you're running tubes in your road bike rims? Secondly, does it work for repairing small punctures caused by glass or thorns?

I only use tubeless mtb tyres running with Stans sealant, so can't comment on road bikes.

Today, 25 km from home, I pulled out a huge bougainvilleae (sp?) thorn about 4mm in diameter from my back wheel. I lost a lot of air, but after about 500m and two sets of pumping it had sealed up fine- although I was worried....

That is the biggest thorn I've yet had. So far after going tubeless & sealant I have never had to fix a puncture. I gather that longer cuts from glass are normally an issue though.

Tyre sealant will work in a road bike tube, but not as effectively as a tubeless mtb tyre. Due to the higher air pressure in a road bike, a puncture caused by a thorn or small piece of glass will result in a rapid loss of air, which is normally to quick for any sealant to do it's job, however inflating with a Co2 bomb or pump afterwards could seal the hole. Good thing about sealnt in a road tube is that the tyre hardly deflates completely after a puncture, making it much safer to control the bike. Downside of sealant in a road tube is that sealant tends to dry or become sticky after a while, forcing you to replace the tubes every 3 to 6 months. I use sealant in my tubes without any problems.

puncture caused by a thorn or small piece of glass will result in a rapid loss of air,

..and a messy fountain of sealant spraying everywhere.

Thanks for the useful replies. Seen I've got the stuff, I might as well give it a try...! :)

Edited by granfondo

Noob question here. Only have my bike for a week now.

Does the tyre pressure values (min/max) required remain the same after using sealant in a tube?

I ask this because my tubes had sealant put in when I purchased the bike and I find the tyres "hard" even before I've reached the minimum stated tyre pressure embossed on the tyre.

Please advise.

Edited by tRoN

Tyre sealant works like a champ!!

I wouldn't ride any bike without it

Latex like Stans needs a top-up every 6-12 months

That green slime stuff seems to last years - I had a bike with slime for 3yrs and no problems with it sealing holes.

The higher the tyre pressure the better the sealant works - the sealant is forced into the hole faster and therefore seals quicker and leaves you with more remaining tyre pressure.

That being said all the above is from my personal experience , may be other angles to look at ;)

Noob question here. Only have my bike for a week now.

Does the tyre pressure values (min/max) required remain the same after using sealant in a tube?

I ask this because my tubes had sealant put in when I purchased the bike and I find the tyres "hard" even before I've reached the minimum stated tyre pressure embossed on the tyre.

Please advise.

To what pressure are you inflating the tyre? Road or mtb?

To what pressure are you inflating the tyre? Road or mtb?

Its a MTB

I checked the pressure as it felt pap and it was 1.8 bar...thought I'd get it to 2.2 bar at least, but it seemed already firm.

The sidewall has embossed 3.5-4.5

I run my tubeless at 1.8, but it will vary according to terrain and your weight. Generally you would run tubeless with a bit less pressure than tubes. It gives you more contact with the ground and a softer ride. 3.5 would definitely be too much.

Tyre sealant will work in a road bike tube, but not as effectively as a tubeless mtb tyre. Due to the higher air pressure in a road bike, a puncture caused by a thorn or small piece of glass will result in a rapid loss of air, which is normally to quick for any sealant to do it's job, however inflating with a Co2 bomb or pump afterwards could seal the hole. Good thing about sealnt in a road tube is that the tyre hardly deflates completely after a puncture, making it much safer to control the bike. Downside of sealant in a road tube is that sealant tends to dry or become sticky after a while, forcing you to replace the tubes every 3 to 6 months. I use sealant in my tubes without any problems.

I just want to give you guys another option. NO FLATS tyre sealant can be used in tube and tubeless tyres in MTB and road bikes, it works extremely well at high pressures, there is a video on my website that shows a tubbie being punctured and the sealant sealing instantly with minimal air lose. NO FLATS never becomes sticky and it is not necessary to top up as the product does not dry up. for more information please feel to have a look at my website www.noflats.co.za or email me

I just want to give you guys another option. NO FLATS tyre sealant can be used in tube and tubeless tyres in MTB and road bikes, it works extremely well at high pressures, there is a video on my website that shows a tubbie being punctured and the sealant sealing instantly with minimal air lose. NO FLATS never becomes sticky and it is not necessary to top up as the product does not dry up. for more information please feel to have a look at my website www.noflats.co.za or email me

Are you serious? Never dries up and turns into astroids that go whirrrr like that stuff from uncle stan?

Thats the one thing i hate about tubeless, is having to replace the sealant every few months even if you never have a puncture or leak.

SlimePro lasts quite long. I opened up my tyres after more than 6 months and it was still liquid. It did have some residue, but no lumps.

Are you serious? Never dries up and turns into astroids that go whirrrr like that stuff from uncle stan?

Thats the one thing i hate about tubeless, is having to replace the sealant every few months even if you never have a puncture or leak.

:D

post-7-0-18377500-1325849902.gif

yip dead serious. I can guarantee that my product will never dry up or form clumps in your tyre, because No Flats in latex and ammonia free it is also hassle and maintenance free

Will your sealant work with latex road tubes?