ASG Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB Marathon 2012

EcoBound MTB Events

Same. At the video preview / rider briefing I asked Wikus where the finish was in respect to the finish last year. He said it was 4-5km "further down into Jbay". So that's what we did. We klapped it into JBay........... straight through town to where the road ended. Had to turn right, and right again and see a few teams in the dark pull into the school ahead of us. Probably lost about 5 places.

I'm surprised Wikus said anything at all. The directions were in the race booklet: Turn right at the first traffic light, and left at the top of the hill. School will be on the right hand side...

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised Wikus said anything at all. The directions were in the race booklet: Turn right at the first traffic light, and left at the top of the hill. School will be on the right hand side...

Didn't read the race booklet. Consider myself a Trans vet, we mos know where the finish is. Right. Paid the price for that one.

Didn't read the race booklet. Consider myself a Trans vet, we mos know where the finish is. Right. Paid the price for that one.

Respect for not blaming others.

Great event! Wonderful weather and I managed to get some great fun photos. Well done to everybody and the organizers! Thumbs Up!!!!!

post-3771-0-73040500-1345469909.jpg

Great event! Wonderful weather and I managed to get some great fun photos. Well done to everybody and the organizers! Thumbs Up!!!!!

Any of team 266?

Congrats to the winners and runners up and everyone that finished.Damn the winning time was quick!!we were team nr 212 and we finished in position 212 at 15:33.what a great event.My highlight was riding the original route for the first time and the beauty of the whole route and my low was .....their was none.who finished in 23:30?

Congrats to the winners and runners up and everyone that finished.Damn the winning time was quick!!we were team nr 212 and we finished in position 212 at 15:33.what a great event.My highlight was riding the original route for the first time and the beauty of the whole route and my low was .....their was none.who finished in 23:30?

Thanks for the Split calculator, helped loads.

I have loads of photos but have to give it to my marketing chaps first.

Any for 198? would love to see? will they be uploaded to your web address?

A man and woman came in at 9:30 on Sunday morning while we were packing up. They got quite an applause from everyone there!

My 1st Trans Baviaans turned into disaster en-route to Bergplaas. Light fading fast...and my partner started cramping badly to a point of unwalkable and our 16hr goal crumbled! Lost 3hrs on that mountain trying to get him going. Managed to get to Bergplaas checkpoint at 11pm. Got assigned to a team that had no time goal and proved frustrating at times when all they wanted to do was camp around a fire?? I thought i would go insane with the waiting!....so finally road into the finish in 22hrs!!! Longest night of my life!....... Big congratulations to the top riders in times that were super insane!! as well as big up to all the others who got to the finish! Looking for photo's from the event...anybody know of photographers that were there??

YAHOO, first Trans Baviaans done and dusted. There were MANY highlights for me, but the biggest was to finish about 2 hours earlier than what we expected. The lowpoint was a litteral one, being myself taking a wipeout down the second fang.

Out of interrest, how did the sealskinz work through all the water crossings? I had "traditional" mohair mountain biking socks on with a comnination of toe caps. Whilst it did not keep the water out, it kept me fairly warm and the only time my toes went really cold was after the crossing at Hadleigh.

Completed our first Trans Baviaans. What an amazing experience, though I must admit I there were times that I really wondered why we do this to ourselves. The finish made it all worth it in the the end.

Very well done to the front runners, it's an amazing time. I also have to mention the team of 4 farm workers on their pretty old entry level bikes and tekkies. It just shows you what can be done with courage and determination. I had a chat with one of them, and apparently its his fourth time doing it. Respect to them, and to everyone else who took part.

The beautiful route is probably the highest of my highlights.

My 1st Trans Baviaans turned into disaster en-route to Bergplaas. Light fading fast...and my partner started cramping badly to a point of unwalkable and our 16hr goal crumbled! Lost 3hrs on that mountain trying to get him going. Managed to get to Bergplaas checkpoint at 11pm. Got assigned to a team that had no time goal and proved frustrating at times when all they wanted to do was camp around a fire?? I thought i would go insane with the waiting!....so finally road into the finish in 22hrs!!! Longest night of my life!....... Big congratulations to the top riders in times that were super insane!! as well as big up to all the others who got to the finish! Looking for photo's from the event...anybody know of photographers that were there??

I take my hat off to you, I just thought to myself what if that was me I. Your shoes and I can already see red. When all you want to do is finish now you must wait around...well done for finishing even if it was 22 hours. Next year you can give it another go Edited by fabes

Finished first Baviaans. Didnt know what to expect and took it as it came. Was exhausted, sore and cold at end but had blast. Well done to all that finished. And special tx to the organisers and the all the support staff. Can just imagine how draining it was to man the check points through the night.

Now it can tick one more of my to do list.