ASG Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB Marathon 2012

EcoBound MTB Events

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coverage was great, not sure I want to do the race. Looked like miles and miles of district road.

It is 10:00 in the morning, you must do it.Trust me it is WORTH IT!!

It is miles and miles of district road. The challenge is not in the terrain though, it's in completing the distance with mental faculties intact.

I'll be ok then, I won't start with all my faculties intact.

How was hell & back?

I was on TV!!! rolleyes.gif

me 2. twice. heheh.

1. at registration

2. snogging up with my teammate at CP7 under the blue sleeping bag. he was a gonner.

next year i would like to be on tv, actually riding my bike.clap.gif

I'll be ok then, I won't start with all my faculties intact.

How was hell & back?

smile.png - re the start time... I think it's intentional so that even the front runners have to do some of it in the dark. A really worthwhile event.

Hell and Back - it was what I imagine it must be like going to Hell & Back. Tough, very hot and unforgiving.

smile.png - re the start time... I think it's intentional so that even the front runners have to do some of it in the dark. A really worthwhile event.

Hell and Back - it was what I imagine it must be like going to Hell & Back. Tough, very hot and unforgiving.

Well done! thumbup1.gif

I was very keen on going to Hell (and back) but there was the small matter of the 94.7.

Definitely looking at one of these next year

Well done! thumbup1.gif

I was very keen on going to Hell (and back) but there was the small matter of the 94.7.

Definitely looking at one of these next year

Thanks! It was the first 94.7 that I've missed in 8 years, but worth the change of scenery.

I would highly recommend TransBaviaans thumbup1.gif

Anybody on the hub do both routes, ie. original and last year's "Langs-Baviaans"?

Scenery aside, how would you compare it as a physical challenge?

Anybody on the hub do both routes, ie. original and last year's "Langs-Baviaans"?

The "normal" route was much more ridable (for me) than the "langs baviaans". I had much more fun this year and didn't climb of my bike once (except at the checkpoints and through the deep waters) Langs Baviaans was a very very big physical challenge!! But both was a experience I'll never forget.

I've done both. Langs Baviaans was way tougher IMO. But that same year we also had icy cold conditions to contend with.

I've done both. Langs Baviaans was way tougher IMO. But that same year we also had icy cold conditions to contend with.

Also did both.Rode an hour faster this year without even trying. If I think back to Langs Baviaans, I can just see endless people pushing their bikes on the Groot Rivier pass.blink.png . That climb was the hardest climb I ever rode/walked

Ja that Groot Rivier Pass was a beast! Rode in a 3-man team last year and had a blast...think we managed 13hrs or so...was obviously very sad to miss out on all the Baviaans scenery though!

Yep, my team is ready and waiting.....

Mine too.

I dont think the prog got across just how tough some of those hills are; but it was good to see. I spotted shots of the start from a hover camera we'd seen on the day which was pretty cool.

Fortunately we missed being on camera and they found later daylight finishers.

Oh, and they kept on about all the food at the checkpoints - apart from CP3 where its rationed DO NOT RELY ON IT BEIN THERE. If you're slowish make sure you've got your own. i still dont know what a ******* jaffle looks like, mythical creatures if you ask me.

Done 7 Baviaans Challenges of which last year's Langs-Baviaans and they are all different, because of weather and other conditions, mud, team etc. Physical challenge? Langs Baviaans first part was easier until you got to Groot Rivier, Original Baviaans fairly easy until Mother of all Climbs. More or less the same I think. Of course the harder you train the easier it will be.biggrin.png

www.spinningatbulla.blogspot.com