Which Thule to buy?

Noneking

I need some advice on which Thule to buy.........:blush:

Had a Towbar fitted one (freeway??) which had the bikes hanging on the rack, but I had plenty problems with bikes coming loose.

Then got myself the Euroway 3 bike rack which was fantastic, but after a recent serious back injury, I had to sell it as I'm not able to manage the rack by myself anymore.

Any suggestions???

Car - Volvo XC 60 - I've looked at roof racks with Thule Proride 591 (2x) on top. May need to put two extra on there when my kids are a little older.......

What effect does it have on fuel consumption?? Easy to install and remove if needed? Easy to place bikes?

I need some advice on which Thule to buy.........:blush:

Had a Towbar fitted one (freeway??) which had the bikes hanging on the rack, but I had plenty problems with bikes coming loose.

Then got myself the Euroway 3 bike rack which was fantastic, but after a recent serious back injury, I had to sell it as I'm not able to manage the rack by myself anymore.

Any suggestions???

Car - Volvo XC 60 - I've looked at roof racks with Thule Proride 591 (2x) on top. May need to put two extra on there when my kids are a little older.......

What effect does it have on fuel consumption?? Easy to install and remove if needed? Easy to place bikes?

Well not sure how good the roof one will be for your back...

But, It is easy to put bikes on top, as long as they're in the lightish variety, not sure how easy it would be putting a dh bike on for example.

Does affect fuel consumption a bit and you notice it when it's their but for convenience sake it's good, just pop bikes on and go.

Think that they remove easily but not to sure.

And, do you have a garage?

Because a friend of mine forgot that he had a bike on the roof and squared his front wheel :lol: .

Good bike rack though :thumbup:

And, do you have a garage?

Because a friend of mine forgot that he had a bike on the roof and squared his front wheel :lol: .

Good bike rack though :thumbup:

Friend of mine cracked his frame (twice) parking below a tree outside his house!!

My roof racks plus one bike on top results in about 15% to 20% less fuel efficiency. I measured this this holiday driving from Cape Town to Arniston and back. TDI usually gets 14.5 - 15 km /liter. With bike it was closer to 12.

It was very windy on both days

Edited by gadget

Friend of mine cracked his frame (twice) parking below a tree outside his house!!

My roof racks plus one bike on top results in about 15% to 20% less fuel efficiency. I measured this this holiday driving from Cape Town to Arniston and back. TDI usually gets 14.5 - 15 km /liter. With bike it was closer to 12.

It was very windy on both days

What happens with just the rack on, no bikes?

What happens with just the rack on, no bikes?

I know on our car it does affect it quite a lot with 3 bikes.

Without bikes it still does affect the fuel consumption but not nearly as much.

Not sure exactly though.

With my bike on my roof on a recent trip to Oudtshoorn (for the cycle race) my car got very good petrol consumption.

You tend to drive slower as well as not breaking as hard etc. Without the bike on I would have gone faster (120 instead of 100km/h).

But, most people will struggle getting the bike onto the roof. Luckily I don't have that problem but I often hear loads of people complaining.

I have the Thule bike roof holder.

Hi there

Instead of looking for a roof rack why don't you rather fix the Tow Bar problems (Bikes coming loose). It's behind the car so less fuel impact, it is low so less back problem impact.

G

Was fine for short trips, but going on longer trips proved to be a problem as bikes would come loose every now and then. Also had to remove wheels to prvent melting tyres on long trips. Also can't take trailer and bikes with towbar fitted racks.......... Was thinking that I could also fit racks on trailer for holidays....

Hi there

Instead of looking for a roof rack why don't you rather fix the Tow Bar problems (Bikes coming loose). It's behind the car so less fuel impact, it is low so less back problem impact.

G

Hi NoneKing

I'd still suggest you fix the bikes coming loose problem, It is cheaper, more practical solution.

And ye, I'm thinking the same with the trailer, My Brother in Law's got a trailer, that I need to tow now and then on the way to holiday spots, (at the moment I carry our 2 MTB's on a Tow bar fitted Thule, so towing the trailer got a similar problem).

G

Was fine for short trips, but going on longer trips proved to be a problem as bikes would come loose every now and then. Also had to remove wheels to prvent melting tyres on long trips. Also can't take trailer and bikes with towbar fitted racks.......... Was thinking that I could also fit racks on trailer for holidays....

Sold that when I bought the Euroway.............. No sorting the problem though, just not a good option for longer trips (also no lights or numberplate= too much attention from cops. Mad at myself for selling it though, was perfect for short trips to group rides etc.....

Hi NoneKing

I'd still suggest you fix the bikes coming loose problem, It is cheaper, more practical solution.

And ye, I'm thinking the same with the trailer, My Brother in Law's got a trailer, that I need to tow now and then on the way to holiday spots, (at the moment I carry our 2 MTB's on a Tow bar fitted Thule, so towing the trailer got a similar problem).

G

Hmmm

Well I hope I'm not in for the same problems, planning on a Jbay visit over Easter, taking bikes with.

Will get some extra straps to tie it down in addition to the rubber steps.

As for the Lights and number plate, hmm ye ye

G

I know of a couple of guys who have written of bikes that fell from these racks............ I was lucky, only one strap came loose and I destroyed a back tyre (brand new) on my way home from Sabi Classic. Another time My bike was missing when I arrived at a training partner's farm....luckily we found the bike 1km from his house, no serious damage. Both times the bike was secured properly when I left home.....When I just got my new Spez, I melted my front tyre driving to PTA from Lowveldohmy.gif. I think that is only a problem with certain cars, depending on location of exhaust in relation to towbar.

BUT like I said, I really mis it for those short trips to LBS etc......

Hmmm

Well I hope I'm not in for the same problems, planning on a Jbay visit over Easter, taking bikes with.

Will get some extra straps to tie it down in addition to the rubber steps.

As for the Lights and number plate, hmm ye ye

G

Hi there

thanks for the heads up on the tie'ing them down properly.

As for melting tyres. I drive a diesel that luckily blow down.

G

I know of a couple of guys who have written of bikes that fell from these racks............ I was lucky, only one strap came loose and I destroyed a back tyre (brand new) on my way home from Sabi Classic. Another time My bike was missing when I arrived at a training partner's farm....luckily we found the bike 1km from his house, no serious damage. Both times the bike was secured properly when I left home.....When I just got my new Spez, I melted my front tyre driving to PTA from Lowveldohmy.gif. I think that is only a problem with certain cars, depending on location of exhaust in relation to towbar.

BUT like I said, I really mis it for those short trips to LBS etc......