State of the Spruit

Riding in Africa

So i went for a ride down the spruit this morning, something i have not done for a long time.

Started at the paulshof end through to the farm. Very busy lots of riders which is good to see.

my problem is who is responsable for looking after the spruit??

Then i had a brain wave??? if all of the bike shops along the spruit, and there are many could take ownership of a section and look after it what a great place to ride and the shop would get great PR out of it????

but i suppose it is just a pipe dream, unless riders started putting some pressure on their shops to start putting back into the sport!!!

So what do you think?? good,bad, or not interested

Start naming the shops close to the spruit that we can target for help

Actually a number of them used to, until there was the very serious threat of legal liability against them after someone injured himself on a teeter-totter they had built.

Not really anything in it for them besides for the threat of getting sued, having their reputations dragged through the mud all over the net and the press, and still having to put up with the schlep of actually maintaining the route.

You would do better with a club or 2, these exist purely for those who want to ride, and hence a more natural fit.

If i remember correctly the teeter-totter was put up by some riders not clubs or shops, and the guy that fell off had done it quite a few times, but i stand corrected.

What i am asking is for the trail to be maintained, cutting the grass etc making the randburg section more than 5 inches wide.

i can not see that being a problem? building dirt jumps etc then there will be problems from a liability point.

I did not mention clubs as apart from JMBC who else does anything on the spruit??

I rode it yesterday in the storm and it was good. If it's a problem, ride from Fratelli's.

Or give me a call (pm me for my number) and I'll muster up some other Spruit riders and we'll help you.

the city council does cut the grass though, saw them there (below Delta park) on thursday. perhaps its aa matter of putting pressure to get them doing it more often. Also, its not only cyclist using the Spruit, many hikers and runners too, i saay they should also get involved in an initiative like this.

If i remember correctly the teeter-totter was put up by some riders not clubs or shops, and the guy that fell off had done it quite a few times, but i stand corrected.

What i am asking is for the trail to be maintained, cutting the grass etc making the randburg section more than 5 inches wide.

i can not see that being a problem? building dirt jumps etc then there will be problems from a liability point.

I did not mention clubs as apart from JMBC who else does anything on the spruit??

Your lust for perfectly groomed trails is what dilutes the sport to the LCD. MTBs are made for rugged, wild terrains and even DH tyres are half the width of the track you mentioned above.

Why do people always feel the need to form little groups, with management teams and shops to sponsor everything?

Good luck trying to sue a dirt jumper for falling on his 'mound' of sand. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen maybe?

the city council does cut the grass though, saw them there (below Delta park) on thursday. perhaps its aa matter of putting pressure to get them doing it more often. Also, its not only cyclist using the Spruit, many hikers and runners too, i saay they should also get involved in an initiative like this.

As far as I'm aware, the residents in the area just below delta club together and pay for the maintenance along that park.

are you all guys a little antsy cos we haven't finished building out 10m gap jump yet? :lol:

If so... we're almost there! :lol:

post-10758-0-60930200-1326089652.jpg

Marking the proposed landing

post-10758-0-81936300-1326089695.jpg

Shifting tons (literally) of dirt to the 10m landing spot

post-10758-0-21873300-1326089764.jpg

View from the other side

post-10758-0-83122500-1326089795.jpg

Result of the 1st attempt :lol: (the jump wasn't 100% ready though)

Edited by patches

hehe, nice one Patches. Those look awesome! Keen to see you guys boost those soon. Really good to see guys pushing things that side.

someone here asked what the problem was.

simple, in certain sections the grass is so long you literally cannot see the single-track at all. it also drags at your wheels slowing you down.

get a LBS (or council even) to maintain the spruit? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ja right!!!

someone here asked what the problem was.

simple, in certain sections the grass is so long you literally cannot see the single-track at all. it also drags at your wheels slowing you down.

get a LBS (or council even) to maintain the spruit? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ja right!!!

You'll be opening a can of worms asking the council since the spruit is to be used by all. This includes people walking dogs, children etc. By getting bike shops to sponsor and groom these tracks you'll increase the volumes and speeds of riders. Accident waiting to happen. I used to ride that spruit a lot and the grassy bits are not worth crying over. Just see it as a bit of extra training or whatever. Getting shops involved and claiming stretches of this track is taking something that belongs to everyone ( a 'common') and making it your own. You wont get far. I agree on the liability thing as well. That guy who had those see-saws pulled because he couldn't ride them, couldn't fall properly and then made it everyones problem should be sad for the fun he's ruined.

As far as those dirt jumps are concerned, don't advertise them to people on forums. Keep them for yourselves and your mates. As soon as the LCD pulls in they will ruin it. We have lots of amazing hand built trails here in the Cape that nobody but a few know about. By keeping quiet we protect what we've built and can push our limits right on our doorsteps. You'd be surprised at the amount of hidden spades and trailbuilding tools stashed around!

As far as those dirt jumps are concerned, don't advertise them to people on forums. Keep them for yourselves and your mates. As soon as the LCD pulls in they will ruin it.

Too true! luckily most of the jump lines are off the main trail in "lesser known" parts of the spruit. The Scout Hall jumps being the only set in a "high traffic zone".

Swampdogs paid for and maintain the wooden bridge at Alberts, the wooden bridge on the way to Alberts and the small bridge on the tree-line at the Botanical gardens.

Swampdogs paid for and maintain the wooden bridge at Alberts, the wooden bridge on the way to Alberts and the small bridge on the tree-line at the Botanical gardens.

There is a slat missing. Someone will *** themselves and run out of talent and crash into the donga. Then swampdogs will be sued. We will all cry.