Trail direction in Groenkloof

BrianMTB

Hi Everyone

Can anyone tell me if the main dirt tracks at Groenkloof are supposed to be uni-directional? Obviously the single-track sections are but I wondered about the main tracks yesterday when I appeared to be cycling against the flow of riders.

If this is so then I caused a fellow rider to crash, for which I am truly sorry. I was riding counter-clockwise from the parking lot on the main track up near the fence at Unisa. Another rider came around a corner from the opposite direction and lost his front wheel as he hit the brakes, seemingly startled at seeing me in front of him.

Perhaps I got my comeuppance when I sustained what feels like a cracked rib in a mean coming-to-ground sometime later in the morning...

Hi Everyone

Can anyone tell me if the main dirt tracks at Groenkloof are supposed to be uni-directional? Obviously the single-track sections are but I wondered about the main tracks yesterday when I appeared to be cycling against the flow of riders.

If this is so then I caused a fellow rider to crash, for which I am truly sorry. I was riding counter-clockwise from the parking lot on the main track up near the fence at Unisa. Another rider came around a corner from the opposite direction and lost his front wheel as he hit the brakes, seemingly startled at seeing me in front of him.

Perhaps I got my comeuppance when I sustained what feels like a cracked rib in a mean coming-to-ground sometime later in the morning...

Never fear Brian. Sounds like it wasn't your fault entirely. He made two silly errors of his own. He likely would have been similarly startled by a sudden tree, and applied the wrong brake to that situation too.

Cracked rib, yes. That brings a salty tear to the eye....

Groenkloof is clockwise, just follow the bike markings. There are some places you can double back on (only on jeep track and gravel roads though), but clockwise has the right of way.

Groenkloof is clockwise, just follow the bike markings. There are some places you can double back on (only on jeep track and gravel roads though), but clockwise has the right of way.

+1

Hey Brian Witkop is correct generally clockwise and please follow the arrows that's why they are there. I too had an incident and fortunately for me and not so fortunate for the other chap is that 95 kgs of quivering passion trumps 70 kg of racing snake. Even if the racing snake knows more expletives he still hit the deck hard.

Hey Brian Witkop is correct generally clockwise and please follow the arrows that's why they are there. I too had an incident and fortunately for me and not so fortunate for the other chap is that 95 kgs of quivering passion trumps 70 kg of racing snake. Even if the racing snake knows more expletives he still hit the deck hard.

Thanks River Rat :) The markings aren't always clear :unsure: (except in the case of the single track) but now I know. Clockwise it is.

Never fear Brian. Sounds like it wasn't your fault entirely. He made two silly errors of his own. He likely would have been similarly startled by a sudden tree, and applied the wrong brake to that situation too.

Cracked rib, yes. That brings a salty tear to the eye....

If you were at the fenceline close to Unisa then I think you were riding Fountains, if thats the case then the trail direction is counter clockwise.