[Event] MTN National XCM #3 Sabie Driven By NISSAN

Tim_Fair

This was my 1st proper 40km - I picked the wrong race! +25km of continuous uphill killed my legs and got cramps in both legs a just before the 3rd waterpoint. The downhill/eagle single track was absolutely fantastic (got 54km/h max on my odo at one point).

I will be back next year, but much more prepared and hopefully much fitter. Cudos to the laaitie doing it in 02:12:52.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys stop moaning!

Yes it was a tough race; if you are looking for easy then there are MANY flat and fast road races you can go and enter.

If its too tough for you, enter an easier event.

I personally bled for 7hrs22 minutes, but I loved the fact that I had the opportunity to challenge myself on a course that eveything. Proper climbing, proper technical decents and single track and proper waterpoints and marshalling.

Race organisers, thumbs up from me!

You clearly didn't read my post or maybe you just never had the opportunity to ride a really enjoyable race. Take something comparable in terms of physical effort, say day2 of Sani2C. It's similar in terms of time in the saddle, similar in terms of total ascent etc. But Sani2C day 2 is 10X more fun! Why? Because it's "all about the riding" and not "all about the suffering". Having a good time and a enjoyable day in the saddle is what it's ultimately all about for the majority of us riders out there. Plodding along at under 10km/hr average and pushing your bike in the mud just isn't on my list of top 10 features that a MTB race should have.

You clearly didn't read my post or maybe you just never had the opportunity to ride a really enjoyable race. Take something comparable in terms of physical effort, say day2 of Sani2C. It's similar in terms of time in the saddle, similar in terms of total ascent etc. But Sani2C day 2 is 10X more fun! Why? Because it's "all about the riding" and not "all about the suffering". Having a good time and a enjoyable day in the saddle is what it's ultimately all about for the majority of us riders out there. Plodding along at under 10km/hr average and pushing your bike in the mud just isn't on my list of top 10 features that a MTB race should have.

Would you like some cheese with that whine Rudi? Some kleenex maybe?

Ridden Sani 2011 and yes, suffered on day 2 too. Now the way I see it is Day 2 Sani is a breeze compared to Sabie Ultra. Oh and enjoyability factor - I thought the single track and technical descents were superb at Sabie.

Edited by rattlesnake

Would you like some cheese with that whine Rudi? Some kleenex maybe?

Ridden Sani 2011 and yes, suffered on day 2 too. Now the way I see it is Day 2 Sani is a breeze compared to Sabie Ultra. Oh and enjoyability factor - I thought the single track and technical descents were superb at Sabie.

Last time I checked posting something on The Hub wasn't supposed to be a dick measuring contest. It's a place where we can give our opinions about cycling related stuff. I did a race in 2008 and then again in 2012. In my opinion, for the reasons that I provided, the race was inferior to the race i remember from 2008 and I posted that comment. That's the purpose of The Hub isn't it?. A place where riders and organisers can see what people think of the races and anything else for that matter.

You gave them a thumbs up, I gave them a thumbs down, so now they can decide what to do with that.

My comments from the other thread about this event

"Having never done the 'classic marathon' but a number of SabieX's and one Forest to Falls I had no idea what previous events were like, having said that it was clear it would be no 'walk in the park'!

It was tough but hey I just enjoyed being out in such a great environment, meeting/chatting to mates MarcFr, IdeJongh, Jarek, Martin, Gremlin and MtbBarbie (the highlight of anyones day for sure ;) )

Just thankful being fit/healthy to do something like this and the feeling of achievement after, I even took the time to look around at and appreciate the scenery (yes I did walk at times)

Organisation was excellent as was the route marking/marshalls and water points!

Fortunately due to another 'little' event last year it takes a lot more than that for me to lose my sense of humour :)

"

Was nice seeing you there too and everyone else I know on a mtb weekend. Was tough but fun, all the sweet singletracks and downhills made up for all the climbing and it cant be that bad if you can still finish with a smile.

Tim, you killed us but I loved it

Hey Guys,

Wow, its great to see so much positive feedback! I am thrilled that you all enjoyed the race so much.

I think we will all agree that this years route was extremely challenging and you can give yourself a pat on the back if you completed it! :thumbup:

The international riders were definitely taught a lesson on how tough our SA boys are, and I think we have several South African teams that have a good shot at the Absa Cape Epic this year.

I hope to see you all at Clarens or Mabalingwe in May!

Overall Standings after Sabie:

1. Kevin Evans
  2. Max Knox
  3. David George
  4. Nico Bell
  5. Gawie Combrinck
  6. Ruan Du Toit
  7. Waylon Woolcock
  8. David Morison
  9. Greig Knox
  10. Erik Kleinhans

1. Ariane Kleinhans
  2. Ischen Stopforth
  3. Karien Van Jaarsveld
  4. Candice Neethling
  5. Jane Nuessli

I was told Grant Usher rode the ultra on his SSR in his leopard suit. Is it true? Ouch, eina bliksem!

Nope. He did the marathon, but started in A batch, not with the SS. He did a 4:14 in his leopard suit and Elvis sideburns. Only saw him at the start of the 1st climb and then never again. That leopard can ride a bike.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419947_10150578912952584_82494432583_8999168_1072756707_n.jpg

Did the 40km on sunday, tough but awesome race with my best mtb friend. Not as tough as Barberton with that rocky downhills. Both of us just couldnt get over the bridge 100m from the end, we both fell but I dislocated my shoulder. Still managed to walk over the finish line after I couldn't get back on my bike to take my medal and finish time. We think the bridge at the end was just too tough for most of the half marathon riders. (Perfect for the pro's of the previous day) We finished at 3:04 which could have been under 3h if it was not for my fall. Now the sad part, to have a shoulder operation and be out of the game for the next minimum 6 weeks. Very depressing! :(

My husband did the marathon the previous day and finished 5:33 and also thought it was very tough, especially the mamba switchbacks.

Lost and Found

Hey guys, here is a list of stuff that we found in Sabie:

• SAS board - no 29681
  • Topeak Saddle bag (with contents)
  • Right hand LG short finger glove
  • Left hand Pro long finger glove
  • 3 x sun glasses
  • RavX Multi-tool
  • Polar HR Monitor
  • C02 cartridge
  • RavX Multi-tool pouch

Give me a shout and discription if it belongs to you or someone you know.