Advise on Triathlon's ( Gear, training, ect)

Xanderno9

Contact the guys from Running Inn - Pta & Jhb regarding shoes/kit/watch.

Speak to Riaan or Max

If you are in Pta - go to their shop c/o Lynwood & Duncan.

Heard they have a shop in Jhb now - not too sure where.

Enjoy.

"Now with the running, any good brands I should be looking out for?"

Go to a proper running shop. You might pay a little more but they will give you the right shoes by letting you try different shoes and watching you run in them. The one in Linden is good.

Saw that list, its very helpful, but I would need some more help with some of the things.

But all the advise i have received is pretty cool.

Howzit all solid advise above.

When it comes to shoes go to a shop where there is someone there that will take the time to let you have a jog up and roung the place. I went to Vlad Kotovs Shop here in Cape Town called Kotovs corner. I tried a few shoes and found that this yellow pair of asics was perfect after trying other brands. Thats not to say they the best just the best for me:)

With regards to clothing gear and wetsuits give me a shout. good prices and I rent wetsuits as well ;)

I bought a bike off the hub when I started and I have been happy with it.

I have a garmin which I am very happy with. some polar models are also decent.

Other handy things

elasticated shoe lace

cap

sunglasses

I had chin splint problems, so I changed to Asics and that seems to work just fine.

A heart rate monitor is a nice tool to to learn your body and your limits, so put that somewhere in your wishlist.

Don't worry about gear now, worry about training and enjoying the sport. I did my first tri with a borrowed swim cap, board shorts and a MTB. Oh and the guys kill themself laughing at me, because I used a cambelbak on 70.3...

Enjoy!

Howzit all solid advise above.

When it comes to shoes go to a shop where there is someone there that will take the time to let you have a jog up and roung the place. I went to Vlad Kotovs Shop here in Cape Town called Kotovs corner. I tried a few shoes and found that this yellow pair of asics was perfect after trying other brands. Thats not to say they the best just the best for me:)

With regards to clothing gear and wetsuits give me a shout. good prices and I rent wetsuits as well wink.png

I bought a bike off the hub when I started and I have been happy with it.

I have a garmin which I am very happy with. some polar models are also decent.

Other handy things

elasticated shoe lace

cap

sunglasses

How can I get in contact with you?

I'm in Joburg though.....

Running shoes are like bicycles saddles, get one that right for you.

I'd suggest you go to a proper running store and have you gait analyzed so that they can give you the right shoes for you feet.

As for watches, heart rate monitors are awesome training tools but can be very expensive stop watches. If you are on discovery go for polar. Suunto and Garmin are excellent as well

Cool, well I'm really getting excited.

1st I would like to go for swimming lessons. Saw the guys swimming at gym last night and it looks intense.

But I know it"ll be worth while.

Just another question, do you guys know of any reliable guys in Gauteng that sells 2nd hand bikes.

Also, where can I go for the wet suite?

Hi Xander,

Looks like you're all in wink.png

About the wetsuit, if you are gonna do the short stuff first you dont need a wetsuit.

Mostly only a must for sea swimming.

And I don't know what your weight looks like, but if you're only starting now and going to start training heavily you will most probably loose a couple of kilograms. Now wetsuit fitting is very technical (and they are quite pricey). So do a couple of short tri's, get in shape, check what the guys are using and buy the suit when it's required.

Also (I might be speaking out of my turn) I want to caution you against the gear bug.

Start off easy, get decent running shoes and a proper fitting bike.

Train and train and train and get the bling as you go along.

(HRM's and other gear is cool but not "must have" - getting into the pool and onto to the road is)

Edited by Spartan226

Cervelo, you are making me worry. I only started during sept last year, have done 2 sprints and I entered 70.3. Hopefully I dont feel like that at T2.

My first ever tri was a 70.3 no stress if you have prepared you will be fine

Spartan, thank you so much for the advice, really cool of you man.

I know there is a lot to get and a lot of people will try to take advantage of me cause I don't really know what I'm talking about.

But 1st things 1st for me, I want to get into the pool and learn the right way of swimming.

Do appreciate the advice.

Always a pleasure Xander.

Yes, start of with the basics and build from there.

Getting coaching on the swim stroke is a good idea - if you start off with incorrect technique you might drill bad habits in.

And swimming is all technique - you're also going to spend a lot on bike and running bling so spending some money to sort your swim is worth it.

As the guys suggested go to Running Inn or another shop that can do a gait analysis and set you up with the right shoes.

You can do a lot of laps in the pool and around the block while you shop for the correct bike.

You don't have to have everything to start.

You can start running today if you have the right shoes and swimming only requires a cap and goggles.

Edited by Spartan226

Always a pleasure Xander.

Yes, start of with the basics and build from there.

Getting coaching on the swim stroke is a good idea - if you start off with incorrect technique you might drill bad habits in.

And swimming is all technique - you're also going to spend a lot on bike and running bling so spending some money to sort your swim is worth it.

As the guys suggested go to Running Inn or another shop that can do a gait analysis and set you up with the right shoes.

You can do a lot of laps in the pool and around the block while you shop for the correct bike.

You don't have to have everything to start.

You can start running today if you have the right shoes and swimming only requires a cap and goggles.

+1. Hope you realize in time you gonna spend a lot of money on this sport best start prep'ing that budget smile.png

ps. steer clear of sportsmans really good running shop in Linden asics for R999

Edited by Seeker911

Thanks so much Spartan, will get the goggles the weekend and also pop in at that place in Linden.

Do appreciate everyone's advice.

Please keep them rolling in.