Frame respray

SurfRat

Hi,

I am busy re-building my 16" Schwinn Moab 2 for my daughter who is 14. I am stripping it to the frame and rebuilding from scratch. This bike gave me 7 years of awesome riding so part of the mission is sentimental :)

I want to get the frame resprayed. Can you please recommend someone and indicate the cost.

Thanks

SurfRat.

Why not have it powder coated. Many colours to choose from and the finish is strong and resistant. Most decent panelbeaters can help you out, and best of all your daughter can choose her colour, which will make the bike hers ;)

• 4 months later...

BMC in woodstock are cheep and do awesome work.... speak to Jarred. The price would depend on what colour and how involved it is..

As far as the stripper is concerned the best by a country mile is one from Plascon called RemovALL. There is nothing else like it on the market. The brilliance of it is that it does all the work. I stripped a hardtail and it was the easiest thing ever. It is a gel that takes days to dry so all you need to do is slop it on nice and thick, it must be as even as possible to work properly. Leave it overnight (its works slower than conventional strippers) and hit it with a high pressure cleaner and there you have it. I had to re-apply some small sections which I didnt get a thick enough coat on. It cleaned the welds out so well it looked like it had never been painted. The guy who powder coated the frame couldnt believe I stripped the frame myself. It's also eco friendly.The usual paint strippers also dry very quickly so if you dont scrape it all off before it dries youve got some serious trouble. Another thing you should be aware of when stripping an aluminium frame is that the conventional paint strippers may cause hydrogen embrittllement of the frame = potential weak point / frame failure. BE CARFEUL what you strip with. So if you dont feel like sitting for hours trying scrape off all the paint, this is the answer. More riding time :)

Resprayed my mongoose as well wasnt as hard as i had expected.

i would also suggest let your daughter decide on the colors for the bike and that will make her feel part of the whole process.

Local panel beaters aren't as pricy as one would think.

As far as the stripper is concerned the best by a country mile is one from Plascon called RemovALL. There is nothing else like it on the market. The brilliance of it is that it does all the work. I stripped a hardtail and it was the easiest thing ever. It is a gel that takes days to dry so all you need to do is slop it on nice and thick, it must be as even as possible to work properly. Leave it overnight (its works slower than conventional strippers) and hit it with a high pressure cleaner and there you have it. I had to re-apply some small sections which I didnt get a thick enough coat on. It cleaned the welds out so well it looked like it had never been painted. The guy who powder coated the frame couldnt believe I stripped the frame myself. It's also eco friendly.The usual paint strippers also dry very quickly so if you dont scrape it all off before it dries youve got some serious trouble. Another thing you should be aware of when stripping an aluminium frame is that the conventional paint strippers may cause hydrogen embrittllement of the frame = potential weak point / frame failure. BE CARFEUL what you strip with. So if you dont feel like sitting for hours trying scrape off all the paint, this is the answer. More riding time :)

Thnx my man for the breakdown will definitely go your route.The eco-friendly is also a bonus.Only thing is i dont have a high pressure sprayer.Will scraping or wiping off with a cloth work(spose my hosepipe on full mist would work).

Do you remember which outlet you purchsed it @>?

TY again rockhopper :thumbup:

This stuff works so well the paint falls off in places, a normal garden hosepipe will work fine. Just remember it takes time so coat it nice and thick (2 thinner coats 10 minutes aparts helps to build up a nice thick film) and come back the next day. Your direct effort to strip the frame is most probably 30 minutes. Your best bet to find it is at Builders Warehouse. A 1L is about R80 and enough to strip a frame.

This stuff works so well the paint falls off in places, a normal garden hosepipe will work fine. Just remember it takes time so coat it nice and thick (2 thinner coats 10 minutes aparts helps to build up a nice thick film) and come back the next day. Your direct effort to strip the frame is most probably 30 minutes. Your best bet to find it is at Builders Warehouse. A 1L is about R80 and enough to strip a frame.

Right on , thnx again rockhopper,omw to builders :thumbup:

Guys whats the best spraycan clearcoat to get.Must i clearcoat straight away after stripped paint to keep the shiny rawwed look.Otherwise best paint and primer.Prob use cans got some pressure control in these fingers. :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to use spraycans to recoat your bike look at the Rustoleum range. The best in a can by far.

If you like the raw look, just strip, wash, dry and wax it with car polish. no need to clearcoat aluminium.

I polished a frame a while ago and waxed it and the finish is still pristine, 6 months later.