Upgrading Groupset

Catatonic_Joe

Hi Guys n Gals,

Need some advice. I currently have a 8spd Alivio groupset that is starting to wear out. I want to upgrade the groupset but can't afford to do it all at once.

I would like to upgrade to 10spd, but I know thats going to cost a fortune and I'll have to upgrade the crank as well.

The rear derailleur is whats needs the most attention, if I upgrade the RD to say 9 spd XT, and put on a 9 spd cluster and chain, will I be able to use it with the old 8spd shifters? Will it still work? I know that I wont be able to change to all gears on the cluster, but will it work? According to Westdene Cycles my crank is 9spd compatible.

Any other tips you can give me will be appreciated. And please PM me if you've got spare groupset components you're willing to sell.

Thanks in advance

You won't be able to use your 8 speed shifters, however, CWCycles are selling Sram Attack shifters for R299. These are 9speed and are compatible with Shimano. Otherwise, you could pick up used Deore for R200-R300.

Just put a 9 speed crank onto my wifes bike, all the rest is 8 speed still. I too will be upgrading it slowly as parts wear out

Ok, so if I put a new 9 spd XT Derailleur, I dont need to change anything else?

Derailleurs are generally compatible across "speeds".

I've used a 9spd derailleur with 10 spd shifters/cassette, so yes, a 9 spd rear derailleur should work fine with your 8 spd shifters/cassette.

Derailleurs are generally compatible across "speeds".

I've used a 9spd derailleur with 10 spd shifters/cassette, so yes, a 9 spd rear derailleur should work fine with your 8 spd shifters/cassette.

Awesome, Thanks! I assume that a 10spd rear Dearilleur will not work with my 8sp config...

Ok, another question, I see CWC has 4 different types of XT RD's, how will I know which derailleur my bike needs?

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys, so my ALivio Derailleur broke and I'm mow ready to upgrade. Need to know if the following combination will work.

So I currently have a 8 speed config, my crank is 8spd and 9spd compatible.

• I want to replace the current 8sp Alivio Shifters with XT 9spd shifters.
  • Replace the 8spd cassette with XT 9spd cassette.
  • Replace the broken Alivio Derailleur with an XT 10spd Derailleur
  • and obviously replace the 8spd Chain with an XT 9spd chain

Please will someone advise me if this will work, or if I should rather replace the replace the derailleur with the older XT 9sp model.

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

Why do you want to replace the RD with a 10speed on 9 speed parts?

Cos I can the get the later model 10 spd RD at almost the same price as the older 9spd RD, i dont mind any of the two, just thought it may be worth spending the extra couple bucks on the new stuff