Advice on really good wheel builder near Somerset West ?

walkerr

Anyone recommend a really good builder of wheels near Somerset West. I know Helder cycles can build me a wheel, and am pretty sure Williams and maybe Cycle Addiction build wheels too.

Just a little wary that wheel building seems to be something of an art than a science - and not having had wheels built before, I'm keen to find recommendations for builders that others have had good experiences/results with.

Have swapped emails with Johan Bornman, who seems to have a very good reputation - but he's Guateng based, so not exactly local for any return visits or tuning needed.

Cheers

-- Rob

Anyone recommend a really good builder of wheels near Somerset West. I know Helder cycles can build me a wheel, and am pretty sure Williams and maybe Cycle Addiction build wheels too.

Just a little wary that wheel building seems to be something of an art than a science - and not having had wheels built before, I'm keen to find recommendations for builders that others have had good experiences/results with.

Have swapped emails with Johan Bornman, who seems to have a very good reputation - but he's Guateng based, so not exactly local for any return visits or tuning needed.

Cheers

William Keith of williams Bike Shop

-- Rob

Cool, thanks NickD - I was hoping one of the LBS would be respected for doing a good job. Now I just need to source my SON hub and rims - leaning towards Ambrosia Excellence at present.

William builds wheels as you mentioned. I have not had wheels built there but am taking my wheels in to be trued this weekend possibly. I have seen William building MTB wheels before. As you said, it is more of an art than science - either you have it or you don't but can be learnt over time. I just don't want to end up stuffing up a good set of wheels when I don't have the right tools.

Yep - my feelings exactly. I'm now pretty comfortable with the bike build-up part (thanks to you and the guys for the encouragement).

Did a bit of research into wheel building yesterday and I reckon the time to learn and cost of truing rig etc, not to mention the chance of making an expensive mistake don't really make this a sensible option for me. Rather find a good local builder, and even better if it means support for LBS too as per rule #58 . I already violate way too many of those rules - so I need to claw back a few I can claim to follow.

Yep - my feelings exactly. I'm now pretty comfortable with the bike build-up part (thanks to you and the guys for the encouragement).

Did a bit of research into wheel building yesterday and I reckon the time to learn and cost of truing rig etc, not to mention the chance of making an expensive mistake don't really make this a sensible option for me. Rather find a good local builder, and even better if it means support for LBS too as per rule #58 . I already violate way too many of those rules - so I need to claw back a few I can claim to follow.

I must say I have too :blush:. I gave will a 'gift' for letting me use his shop to build my ride - I bought all my stuff locally (SA), but none from his shop. I now make a point of getting stuff through him rather than CWC - R15 difference in a 60ml bottle of dry lube is not worth the time and petrol to mission through to CWC.

Yep - agree. Making mental note here to take my shopping list down there and see what stuff he can price up for me. Like you say, if close enough then LBS rule applies.

Malan builds a pretty decent set of wheels too (Cycle Addiction).

I'd go with either William or Malan.

Johan built my front wheel around a SON 28 in 2007 on a DRC rim. I was able to collect the wheel from him to bring back to Cape Town. Apart from a minor tweak early on, the wheel has been bombproof. This includes travelling through a crater that trashed my rear (non-Bornman) wheel.

For what it's worth, at the time Schmidt said I was their first customer in Africa; I bought direct from the factory, but with hindsight I think a dealer might be a better option. They can build you a wheel, by the way.

The newer SONs seem to be available with a smaller flange; my one has quite a big flange, which I gather complicated the build a bit.

Edited by pbp2007

Cheers Velouria and Anthony.

I'm looking at the newer SON Deluxe, lower power but ligher and less drag. I'll only use it to power an Edelux, but have seem other guys also have run an E-Werk charger from it with no problems even though it's not rated for that.

Was wondering about DRC rims - in fact it was through your posts here I found Johan's name and he recommended DRC. Will see if practical to get him to build me a set, although seems my LBS quite well rated for wheel builds and very handy that I can pop in easily.

Seen couple of comments about DRC rims being harder to change tyres - something to do with deeper section. Not sure if you've found that. Was leaning towards Ambrosia based on their excellent reputation for quality and toughness, and there's SA suppliers (my original choice was Rigida but no one sells them here).

Stopped in at Williams and had a long chat with William - feel pretty comfortable with him building my wheels, especially after you guys here also rating them. He's already steered me away from Ambrosio towards my other choice of Mavic Open Pro for what seems like good reasons (bad experiences from couple of Ambrosios they've built). Nice guy too.

Stopped in at Williams and had a long chat with William - feel pretty comfortable with him building my wheels, especially after you guys here also rating them. He's already steered me away from Ambrosio towards my other choice of Mavic Open Pro for what seems like good reasons (bad experiences from couple of Ambrosios they've built). Nice guy too.

Yes, I usually go in for a chat on Saturdays. He is the only LBS that services my bikes for me. Works out well as I drop them off on the weekend and collect the following weeekend. Only wish is that he was closer to Cape Town.

Yes, I usually go in for a chat on Saturdays. He is the only LBS that services my bikes for me. Works out well as I drop them off on the weekend and collect the following weeekend. Only wish is that he was closer to Cape Town.

Just around the corner from me, which is also handy.

Yeah, I tend to go in for a quick chat and walk out there an hour later :eek: :whistling:

Well there is William Keith and then you can also try William Keith, so you have a choice there :)