Tip of the day - sidewall cuts

KnobbyMech

Problem with normal patches are that they tend to "pop" where the hole is if the hole is too big. The dental floss idea in combination standard patches should work nicely, just effort.

The plugs are also called "plug patches" or "patch/plug combination". A box of 14 imported is around $21.

http://fixtires.com/...combination.php

post-17364-0-30297400-1327993352.png

Just head off to the nearest tyre shop and get them to patch your cuts with the standard patches they use on the inside of road tyres, it costs about R10. Ask them not to buff too deep before they patch.

I have sidewall cuts in brand new Racing Ralph TLR and Maxxis Crossmark UST tires. Breaks my heart to throw them away as I won't ride them with tubes. Discovered this product at a motorbike store this weekend. Works like a charm and R1100 worth of tire saved with 2 off R30 plugs.

1. Remove blue cover tape.

2. Apply vulcanizing glue to the newly exposed rubber on the plug as well as on the inside of tire around the cut.

3. Use the copper inner rod of the plug to pull the cyclindrical portion of the plug through the cut/hole from the inside out until the patch portion adheres to the tire.

4. Cut the plug with a stanley knife flush with the tire on the outside. Barely visible.

I think it should work on sidewall cuts of up to around 12-15mm. My cuts were 10mm. "snotstokkies" did not produce a permanent fix as they move and the sealant does not get in contact with them as it is on the side of the tire. Hope it makes sense and hope you salvage a tire or two.

Thank you. Great tip.

If I may add one thing. Use a high grade vulcanizing solution on the inside of the tyre. The cheapo stuff some people still use to patch tubes doesn't stick to the inside of a tyre too well or for too long.

I had a cut a my Shwalbe Rocket Rons two weeks ago, went to Linden Cycles with the intention of buying a new tyre. Dude there sold me a "patch" made just for cuts in side walls, costed R40. Its a rough piece of rubber about 3 x 5cm that you place on the inside of the tyre wall where the cut is.

Works like a charm, think I still have the packaging at home, will take a pic and post tomorrow if I can find it.