Johannesburg routes

snakesmile

Just moved from CT to JHB.

Rode suikerbosrand loop last weekend. For a first ride of the season it is absolutely and utterly 100% unforgivingly punishing. That last hill? Man, oh man. Puts anything in the cape to SHAME. Beautiful place, fully recommend it.

But where else do locals head? Please forgive my ignorance; I am brand new and have no idea. Looking for an +-80km'er loop departing from the northern suburbs (parkview, rosebank, thereabouts).

Any advice on direction, roads, times, etc would be hugely appreciated. A mate and I ride together and aren't yet fit enough for a group outing.

Thanks guys.

Firstly, welcome to jo'burg! You can't be all that unfit if you're Riding suikerbos. There are quite a few loops out that side, especially leaving fourways and heading out to the cradle. I'm not sure if you're talking weekends or weekdays but there are rides most days anyway. Rather try riding with a group though, they vary in pace and you'll find one you're comfortable with. There were groups that used to leave the engen garage on main road bryanston 5 am most days but I'm not sure anymore because I haven't done that in a while but Im sure you'll get ample response here that will clarify exact times and places for you. Good luck!

Thanks a lot, Sandro. Cradle direction it shall be, along Beyers Naude until it changes. Unless other suggestions come in! Cheers

Thanks a lot, Sandro. Cradle direction it shall be, along Beyers Naude until it changes. Unless other suggestions come in! Cheers

Going out on Beyers Naude you'll go past a squatter camp at Peter Rd. Maybe not the best thing to do...

Try going out via Fourways (if too late quite a bit of traffic), and then go past Dainfern(Cedar) towards Lanseria, over Hans Strydom. Alternative is to pitch at a Cyclelab club ride at 6am to see the route. Sign in as a guest and go with one of groups (C1 avg about 30km/h) ~75km.

Tuesday evenings there is a crit at the Northgate dome overflow parking (currently starting at 6am) - 45minutes + 1. Organised by Alex from Northcliff Cycles. Cost R30, price includes a cold drink. 25km(about 30 laps) gives around 530/540m of ascent.

For weekday morning rides, look at the ICG group on http://www.cyclesafe.co.za They start at 5am from Illovo. The Engen2Engen (from the Engen garage on Main in Bryanston) can be a bit hair raising.

Go east young man. Yup, there is life besides the so called north which, by the way, is more west than north. Head out towards Bedfordview, past Edenvale and then Pomona area - look at google erf -

SS

You do NOT want to cycle out to the Cradle from parkview, rosebank, thereabouts -- Drive out north, either to the Cycle Lab as described, Broadacres or best of all to Something Country, Valverde or similar on the Cradle loop.

It is a bit of a drive, but much safer and well worth it as you can grab a coffee afterwards

You do NOT want to cycle out to the Cradle from parkview, rosebank, thereabouts.

Why not? I do it all the time. The only real downside is that it's about 45-60min of riding before you actually get to the Cradle, limiting the number of loops you can do there.

Riding in Jozi compared to Cape Town is a tough adjustment - dont underestimate altitude training! Cradle is the best bet and get involved with either Cycle Lab in Fourways or Club100. The morning ride from Engen on Main Road is a good training base and there are always people on the route if you lose the group. I would suggest getting a mtb though - its much easier to train than on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove out to the cradle on Saturday afternoon looking for somewhere to park and then ride the loop. (never been there before). We found the cycle lanes etc but couldn't find somewhere safe to park and ride from. Braodacres is not convienient from where we live.

I've just found "Somethng Country" on the map (mentioned above) - is it safe to leave a car there and ride from there? And do the owners mind?

Cheers.

B.

I drove out to the cradle on Saturday afternoon looking for somewhere to park and then ride the loop. (never been there before). We found the cycle lanes etc but couldn't find somewhere safe to park and ride from. Braodacres is not convienient from where we live.

I've just found "Somethng Country" on the map (mentioned above) - is it safe to leave a car there and ride from there? And do the owners mind?

Cheers.

B.

We normally park at toadburry hall, secure parking and they open early...nice place to smash a muffin and coffee after the ride as well. check it out

Why not? I do it all the time. The only real downside is that it's about 45-60min of riding before you actually get to the Cradle, limiting the number of loops you can do there.

+1. I do it almost every weekend...

Toadbury Hall actually have a web page on their site encouraging cyclist to park and ride!

http://www.toadbury....ure_cycling.htm

Will give it a go. Cheers guys.

Yes park at the deli...the entrance closest to the river of the two. Like I said, safe and secure and a mean cap. Great way to start a morning

hi guys i ride alone all the time in the week and weekend i would like to find a group that i can ride with in the jhb area please and make some mates as .

Just moved from CT to JHB.

Rode suikerbosrand loop last weekend. For a first ride of the season it is absolutely and utterly 100% unforgivingly punishing. That last hill? Man, oh man. Puts anything in the cape to SHAME. Beautiful place, fully recommend it.

But where else do locals head? Please forgive my ignorance; I am brand new and have no idea. Looking for an +-80km'er loop departing from the northern suburbs (parkview, rosebank, thereabouts).

Any advice on direction, roads, times, etc would be hugely appreciated. A mate and I ride together and aren't yet fit enough for a group outing.

Thanks guys.

would u like a ridding parnter im game to ride .