Which will help more - XTR RD or XTR Shifters?

Skylark

I have SLX RD & Shifters and I can upgrade either to XTR RD or XTR Shifters but not both.

Which of the two would give the best bang for my bucks in terms of increase rider performance/enjoyment and why?

Or just from your guys experience which would be the more helpful upgrade of the two.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can forget the XTR and go XT on both, SLX shifters on XTR RD is a waste as is vice versa. you will be happier with both XT and very on happy with an XTR SLX combo, gap is just to big

I agree partially. I'd go with XT RD. XTR shadow RD has a carbon cage, which is extremely easy to break. But I'd consider the XTR shifters for a bit of bling...

The performance of SLX components match that of XTR - the few grams (and plenty of ZAR) difference create budget for R&D of the next generation XTR products from which SLX will benefit... everybody wins - the fatcats have to feed the rest of the bunch. Buy the best you can afford and keep the wheels turning!

Edited by coetzpj

This is an interesting one...

I did quite a bit of research at a stage (spoke to people who changed, tried a few options, reflected on the swops I made over the years etc) and interestingly, it's changing shifters which has the most pronounced effect. One usually looks at the RD as the main kahuna, but it's just a general perception.

I'm with Just asking on not pairing it with an SLX RD though, there's a big difference between an SLX RD and even an XT one. Few people know that SLX shifters are actually XT internals with different covers and plastic levers. If I were you, I'd simply upgrade the RD to an XT one. Ideally, you could then add XTR shifters, but that's quite a price jump.

Bottom line: If you're not already running XT somewhere, adding just one XTR component is not going to be worth it.

The performance of SLX components match that of XTR

Not quite. Yes, the primary advantage is weight, but there's without any doubt quite a pronounced difference in crispness between XTR shifters and SLX ones. XTR has a solid, crisp click. SLX also, but to a lesser extent.

XTR brake levers for example, are waaaay smoother due to their pivots running on high-quality bearings.

This is an interesting one...

I did quite a bit of research at a stage (spoke to people who changed, tried a few options, reflected on the swops I made over the years etc) and interestingly, it's changing shifters which has the most pronounced effect. One usually looks at the RD as the main kahuna, but it's just a general perception.

I'm with Just asking on not pairing it with an SLX RD though, there's a big difference between an SLX RD and even an XT one. Few people know that SLX shifters are actually XT internals with different covers and plastic levers. If I were you, I'd simply upgrade the RD to an XT one. Ideally, you could then add XTR shifters, but that's quite a price jump.

Bottom line: If you're not already running XT somewhere, adding just one XTR component is not going to be worth it.

Changing shifters which has the most pronounced effect - Thats what I thought as well becuase its the smooth and precise actuation characteristics of good shifters that give a good shifting feel/performance which is where you'd mostly experience the quality of a multi-gear system - thats as long as you have a decent cass/chain/rings

I have SLX RD & Shifters and I can upgrade either to XTR RD or XTR Shifters but not both.

Which of the two would give the best bang for my bucks in terms of increase rider performance/enjoyment and why?

Or just from your guys experience which would be the more helpful upgrade of the two.

my few cents worth come in the form of clarity... if you want to enjoy your ride more... spend your money on a lighter wheel setup:tyres, cassette, rims, spokes :thumbup:

my few cents worth come in the form of clarity... if you want to enjoy your ride more... spend your money on a lighter wheel setup:tyres, cassette, rims, spokes :thumbup:

Yes that is probably a correct & wise option , thanks for that info.

But let me make it very clear - I'd like to know the answer to my question nothing else ;)

Which will help more in an SLX drivetrain - XTR RD or XTR Shifters?

I'd just like a straight answer to that with the reason why if possible.

But thanks to everyone contributing!

Edited by SkyLark

Yes that is probably a correct & wise option , thanks for that info.

But let me make it very clear - I'd like to know the answer to my question nothing else ;)

Which will help more in an SLX drivetrain - XTR RD or XTR Shifters?

I'd just like a straight answer to that with the reason why if possible.

But thanks to everyone contributing!

mmm... let me see.... you want the answer to your question and nothing else :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... you are on the wrong forum dude! :whistling:

I guess I can answer your question... I think you are wasting your money! You will notice no difference... except perhaps 30g which you would not notice if you took a piss before your ride anyway :ph34r: ...

mmm... let me see.... you want the answer to your question and nothing else :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... you are on the wrong forum dude! :whistling:

I guess I can answer your question... I think you are wasting your money! You will notice no difference... except perhaps 30g which you would not notice if you took a piss before your ride anyway :ph34r: ...

Mmm yes I can assure you that XTR is a whole lot more than just lighter in weight than XT or SLX

I would have thought that is self evident :blink:

I know for a fact XTR shifters feel amazing - better bearings, better designed ergonomics , more adjustment points etc - a good solid step ahead of XT or SLX , never used XTR RD though

And my request that I am seeking the answer to my question is reasonable

That is if you understand what reasonable means

:thumbup:

Mmm yes I can assure you that XTR is a whole lot more than just lighter in weight than XT or SLX

I would have thought that is self evident :blink:

I know for a fact XTR shifters feel amazing - better bearings, better designed ergonomics , more adjustment points etc - a good solid step ahead of XT or SLX , never used XTR RD though

And my request that I am seeking the answer to my question is reasonable

That is if you understand what reasonable means

:thumbup:

"reasonable" is another discussion completely... ok here goes my reasonable attempt:

get the shifters... the component most likely to break is the RD...

and as i understand it the shift ratio between the shimano drivetrain are identical...

if you like the smooth feel and bling of the shifters... get them and buy some awesome cables that are closed the whole way

Rider performance will be 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%. better, it's not like road racing where you racing to win in a bunch sprint.

Might not be as smooth perhaps but my SLX shifters have never let me down, each click produces an exact shift up and down,

I believe most/if not all answers, answered your question or are relevant, the shifters would make the bigger difference as this is what you are in direct contact with, and get better feedback from/more accurate, but your second part of the question refers to bang for your buck, and thats where the alternative solutions are comming forward. Problem with paring Top end with mid range components you will not get the full benefit/features of the better product, nor will it magically improve the performace of the lower spec item. Think the 1st answer is short and sweet, though the solution is not what your question asked.

I play around with mid high-end spec with sram. Cheaper and the cockpit alway has more impact on your ride experience.. Ideal setup for me is shifter X0 - RD X9.

No experience with Shimano but the logic presented by OP I think answers his own thoughts.. Better shift adjustment and crisper feel of a top notch shifter. SRAM X9 and XO RD bear so many similar qualities, which one on the bike is almost negligible in the mix, could find the same rule applies for Shimano ??