Formula R1 or XTR brakes?

wings47

Thanks for this.

I also had one side a bigger gap and one side rubbing, so I removed wheel and pads then I opened the the caliper pistons all the way. Then held back the piston that was rubbing and with the lever pumped the other piston out too the correct width. It was better but finally I noted my system was over filled.

i just mention it as this was my process and my brakes are perfect now

Formula has good youtubes on bleeding and it works. but like i said first check with bleed block I would say that is step one

Hope it helps I'm no expert be I do my own bleeding and my brakes work well

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the pistons aren't retracting completely into the caliper when you release the brakes. Has it been like that all the time?

Easiest way to reset them is to get a wide implement (NOT a screwdriver) and gently coerce the pistons back into their primary positions. If you have a pad spreader (that little red jobbie that fits int eh caliper when you take the wheel off) then use that. If not, a strong knife / thin chisel will work as well.

Take out the pads, and then clean the calipers PROPERLY in some spirits / degreaser to remove any gumpf from around the pistons, and rinse off with water Then put the pads back in place and the wheel as well. Check the brakes and see if they work properly, and if the pistons retract into position. If not, you probably have some air in the system or too much fluid in there, so give them a good bleed.

The rotor should sit smack bang in the centre of the caliper.

Shot for this!!!

i've got the pad spreader thingy... i will be attempting all of the above later this evening. (thats if its not too cold in the garage.. Brrrr)

Just out of curiosity

Formula RX is equal to which Shimano brakes and which Avid brakes?

Looks like they've just got reach adjust, so I'd go with equivalent of Elixir 7 and then SLX.

i have the Formula top end brakes but they are noisy and irritate me when i ride

Wont be buying it again

Looks like they've just got reach adjust, so I'd go with equivalent of Elixir 7 and then SLX.

so in terms of "bite" or modulation not that i know what modulation is, still equivalent to elixir 7 and slx?

im not even reading through this thread. don't get xtr!! they are a night mare. I've had nothing but trouble with them. 3 warranties, brake fade, broken clamps.. you name it. go xt. they work

i have the Formula top end brakes but they are noisy and irritate me when i ride

Wont be buying it again

Put Ice tech rotors on.. problem solved! :thumbup:

post-14847-0-09969900-1402488363_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...