POWER METERS: Crank, Hub or Pedal-based?

'Dale

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody know if you can use an SRM power control with any other pm?

looks like the SRM uses ant+ sport protocol...different to normal ant+?

the powercontrol looks killer! would love one if it works.

Any news on the following "The Metragear Vector pedal-based powermeter".This pedals look the cheapest and the best

How much does it cost to install a power meter plus the unit on my bike, i have seen some online for around R7000 is this the average amount?

How much does it cost to install a power meter plus the unit on my bike, i have seen some online for around R7000 is this the average amount?

depends what kind.

hub based (powertap) can be less than R7k and then all you need is a cassette (if a whole wheel) and tyre.

If it's just the unit then you'd need the rim, spokes and a reputable wheel builder as well as the cassette and tyre.

For the crank based option (useful if you have many sets of wheels) all you need is the power meter, chainrings (some come with) crankarm (most come with) bottom bracket if it's different to the one you currently use, plus installation if you don't know how to do it, which is about R100-R150.

The crank based options are slightly more expensive (Power2Max, the unit I use, is R10700ish from the local distributor, send me an fb message if you're keen and I'll let him know) but they are more practical if you use different wheelsets.

The pedal based ones are coming out now, Polar has one but it will only work with a Polar head unit, so if you have a garmin or anything else it isn't an option.

The power2max and powertap are the most reasonably priced, the quarq pm is about R15000 and the SRM is R25000minimum, not sure about the polars but the Garmin Vector's are coming in at R15000 too, lightest and easiest, not yet available.

If you plan on buying an amazing wheelset at some stage then it might be better to get a crank based option.

The crank based pm will also allow you to race with power and get racing data, whereas with the powertap the distribution and added weight is not an attractive offer for racing.

I've got a powertap and a power2max, powertap is used for IDT sessions.

Heavy, puncture resistant wheels for training.

Ksyriums with racing tyres for long road races without support vehicle.

Tubbies for league races.

So for me, the crank based option was a necessity if I wanted to ride with a pm all the time.

but that's just me.

And with the power meter hype only growing, you'll always be able to flog one off.

depends what kind.

hub based (powertap) can be less than R7k and then all you need is a cassette (if a whole wheel) and tyre.

If it's just the unit then you'd need the rim, spokes and a reputable wheel builder as well as the cassette and tyre.

For the crank based option (useful if you have many sets of wheels) all you need is the power meter, chainrings (some come with) crankarm (most come with) bottom bracket if it's different to the one you currently use, plus installation if you don't know how to do it, which is about R100-R150.

The crank based options are slightly more expensive (Power2Max, the unit I use, is R10700ish from the local distributor, send me an fb message if you're keen and I'll let him know) but they are more practical if you use different wheelsets.

The pedal based ones are coming out now, Polar has one but it will only work with a Polar head unit, so if you have a garmin or anything else it isn't an option.

The power2max and powertap are the most reasonably priced, the quarq pm is about R15000 and the SRM is R25000minimum, not sure about the polars but the Garmin Vector's are coming in at R15000 too, lightest and easiest, not yet available.

If you plan on buying an amazing wheelset at some stage then it might be better to get a crank based option.

The crank based pm will also allow you to race with power and get racing data, whereas with the powertap the distribution and added weight is not an attractive offer for racing.

I've got a powertap and a power2max, powertap is used for IDT sessions.

Heavy, puncture resistant wheels for training.

Ksyriums with racing tyres for long road races without support vehicle.

Tubbies for league races.

So for me, the crank based option was a necessity if I wanted to ride with a pm all the time.

but that's just me.

And with the power meter hype only growing, you'll always be able to flog one off.

Thanks ! so many options, i'm not even sure thats its worth putting one on my current road bike. I'm new to the sport and got no idea what most of this stuff means, but john wakefield recommends a power meter so i guess i'm going to have to look at getting one. Thanks for the repley :thumbup:

Thanks ! so many options, i'm not even sure thats its worth putting one on my current road bike. I'm new to the sport and got no idea what most of this stuff means, but john wakefield recommends a power meter so i guess i'm going to have to look at getting one. Thanks for the repley :thumbup:

speak to John about getting one, I know he can get quarq's at good prices.

also try and read through this entire thread, you'll get lots of info.

Introducing PowerCal

A new kind of power meter.

Introducing CycleOps PowerCal, the worlds’ first-ever power meter calculated from heart rate. For years there has been a widely recognized correlation between power and heart rate. In a lab one can predict power output or intensity by knowing heart rate, and vice versa. But once you leave the lab and enter variables such as hills, wind and fatigue, the relationship gets a bit trickier. This is why many cyclists and triathletes use both a heart rate monitor and a power meter in training.

Through the use of these tools and the analysis of tens of thousands of power files over the years, the experts at CycleOps and the University of Colorado Boulder have identified patterns which can correlate an athlete’s heart rate to power across all real world conditions. We’ve utilized this knowledge to create a technology which provides power based on this correlation; in the real world and in real time.

No, it’s not as precise as our PowerTap. Yes, it’s a great tool, is incredibly easy to use, and is compatible with any existing ANT+ compatible display. Simply pair it to your display, and off you go!

We’re all familiar with the key difference between a power meter and a HR monitor: that HR is a response to the work you’re doing, whereas power is the actual work. The algorithms in PowerCal translate heart rate data into the vernacular of power-based training- watts, kilojoules, peak power, etc.

And at approximate costs of R1000.00, it could be one of the best investments you make in your training. So if you’re ready to take your performance to the next level, let PowerCal help get you there.

http://www.bicyclepower.co.za/Products/CycleOpsPowerTaps/tabid/112/ProductID/16/Default.aspx

this combined with the new Joule 1.0 or Joule GPS is the ideal way to start learning more about power

if you would like more into please contact us on info(at)bicyclepower.co.za or 011-023-2777

due to be in stock in the next 2-4weeks

If only I wasn't a weight weenie...

:-)

Weights are very comparible to Quarq and SRM. Depending on which BB option you use, the Power2max with Rotor 3D Plus is between 50g and 100g (approximately) heavier.

Keep in mind that Power2max has a built in cadence sensor which requires no extra attachment, magnets or sensors on your bike. So there is a small weight saving and it's aesthetically more pleasing. If you train properly with power, cadence is a must have.

What about the "PowerCal" for R1000 the rest of the money You can use buy a new bike, R15-25K is "Mal"