Views of Scott 29er Elite and DT Swiss M210 and alternatives

Rickb33

Hi, looking at the Scott 29er Elite. I am not sure about the rear shock ie DT Swiss M210 as some reviews say it is higher maintenance than Rock Shox and Fox and also I have seen a post on bikeradar which mentions it could not handle the riders weight of 96kg's. (I am 92kg's). Any comments? I am also looking at the Momsen Dual Link 6 and the Fuji Outland 1.0 29er. Also I am 190cm tall and seem to be on the cusp between a L and XL - all the bike shops say L is fine but I am not sure if that is because of what they have in stock.

Hi, looking at the Scott 29er Elite. I am not sure about the rear shock ie DT Swiss M210 as some reviews say it is higher maintenance than Rock Shox and Fox and also I have seen a post on bikeradar which mentions it could not handle the riders weight of 96kg's. (I am 92kg's). Any comments? I am also looking at the Momsen Dual Link 6 and the Fuji Outland 1.0 29er. Also I am 190cm tall and seem to be on the cusp between a L and XL - all the bike shops say L is fine but I am not sure if that is because of what they have in stock.

Hi Rick- after some serious frustrations related to Probike and their useless and totally unreliable stock holding, and more terrible logistics issues we finally took delivery of 2x Scott Spark 29 Elite's. (1 L and 1 XL)

I am 1.83m and I ride the L, the XL by a 1.99m rider - I can certainly say that you would need the XL, trust me.

Cant get much better for the price, the quality of the frame, and the geometry is really nice and the bike's handling and ride awesome.

We have already changed the brakes and shifters to XT - making it a complete XT bike. Also changed the Saddle, Post, Stem and Bars.

If you see the Momsen and Fuji in person you would immediately see the difference in finish, quality and style- those are really not true competitors to the Scott.

Thanks V, I appreciate the comment. I was thinking of going for it and changing the brakes and shifters to XT as you mentioned - makes it a good value, great quality bike which also looks pretty good to me

V - what stem, bars etc did you put on? I just got my XL on Friday and just changed HB and pedals (XT). While changing the HB, I realised, it will not be long before I change the brake levels to XT (and possibly the shifter).

Did you need to change complete brake system or could you just replace the levels?

next thing I need is tubeless conversion ... not sure if these tyre would work with that though, so might need tyres as well.

V - what stem, bars etc did you put on? I just got my XL on Friday and just changed HB and pedals (XT). While changing the HB, I realised, it will not be long before I change the brake levels to XT (and possibly the shifter).

Did you need to change complete brake system or could you just replace the levels?

Tires and Rims are compatible with tubeless - we did ours with stans notubes conversion kit - did it at home with some co2 bombs. easy 45min jobbie.

You have to change the entire brake system, because it comes with Avid's.... so you need Calipers, Hoses, Levers and also new Rotors....

We went for the new i-Spec mounted shifters, it attaches with the XT brake lever clamp.

For bars, post and stem we did crankbrothers cobalt 3. it looks sick...

saddle Fi'zi:k Gobi

• 2 weeks later...

Was also looking at the scott 29 elite but reading so many bad rumors of the DTSWISS m210 :( seems it just kills the overall appeal of the bike. Now i have a anthem X 26, might as well look at the Anthem X 29.

Scott claim 12,4 kg's - don't know for sure. XL Momsen dual link 7 with full XT, ZTR rims and standard steel pedals weighed in at 13,0 (Saw that first hand today). With the Scott I got put off by the amount of upgrade possibly required and DT Swiss feedback.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I have a 2011 Scott Spark 10 and I have issues with the rear shock, that's the only complaint I have though. It also has the DT Swiss M210 rear shock and I'm now going to change it to either a Fox or RS Monarch to end the hassles

I'm 1.94cm riding a large 21" Merida.I must be on a 22" frame.23"XL is for people 2m +.

Pieter when it comes to bike fit, downtube is probably the least important, your reach / top tube length is the most important as this will dicatate your comfort/balance on the bike. And I recommend that everyone does either an ergofit or bgfit to determine correct bike size before they do anything.

You could be .1.98m with a short reach which means a L frame will work or you could be 181 with a long reach which means an XL frame could be appropriate.

Pieter when it comes to bike fit, downtube is probably the least important, your reach / top tube length is the most important as this will dicatate your comfort/balance on the bike. And I recommend that everyone does either an ergofit or bgfit to determine correct bike size before they do anything.

You could be .1.98m with a short reach which means a L frame will work or you could be 181 with a long reach which means an XL frame could be appropriate.

Where is a good place to get fitted ??

Where is a good place to get fitted ??

Depends where you at? But theres a whole thread on here somewhere with the usual hub argument over which is better ergomax vs bgfit. But any one of the two will give you a great starting point.

I love Scott bikes and have a 2011 spark 40. Unfortunately the dt Swiss shock is a piece of s$@t. Was informed this afternoon that the shock has a 50/50 chance of not making it through the Transbaviaans! Needs to be sent to JHB for repairs.

Luckily Steve from Cyclelab CT offered me a demo bike for the race - set up to match my own bike with my saddle.

Great service!!