99er entry fee R280

fandacious

but you ride the cobra that is R120 for only 83Km....... the 99'er works out to R178 for the 123Km using the price per Km of the Cobra - and it's not an Argus seeding race.

If you rode the Cobra as a league rider it would have cost you R267.81 for the distance of the 99'er taking a per Km comparison. (120 entry plus 60.72 admin fee)

The reason I didn't ride the cobra.

I did the Cobra cause it was a league race. I committed myself to league racing, and think that at R150 a race the price is fair. Still not interested in this race Tiny, no matter which way you look at it. The 99er weekend is the only free weekend in the league race calender for almost two months, and I will definitely not forfeit my chance to take a breather at a cost of R190 to suffer up Vissershok.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find these threads complaining about the cost of races a bit strange. Every week I marvel at the new gear that people have on their bikes (if not a new bike) and its not unusual for people to shell R15k for new wheels.

Add to that the energy drinks and gels, petrol to drive to the venue and the opportunity cost of riding on a day you could probably be earning money some how and the the entry is by far the cheapest part of your day. If you enjoy riding in organised bunches (like me), pay the R190 and see me in the chute, if not, take your R50k bike and take it for a spin on your own. :thumbup:

I find these threads complaining about the cost of races a bit strange. Every week I marvel at the new gear that people have on their bikes (if not a new bike) and its not unusual for people to shell R15k for new wheels.

Add to that the energy drinks and gels, petrol to drive to the venue and the opportunity cost of riding on a day you could probably be earning money some how and the the entry is by far the cheapest part of your day. If you enjoy riding in organised bunches (like me), pay the R190 and see me in the chute, if not, take your R50k bike and take it for a spin on your own. :thumbup:

Great response! Could not typed it better! :thumbup:

I did the Cobra cause it was a league race. I committed myself to league racing, and think that at R150 a race the price is fair. Still not interested in this race Tiny, no matter which way you look at it. The 99er weekend is the only free weekend in the league race calender for almost two months, and I will definitely not forfeit my chance to take a breather at a cost of R190 to suffer up Vissershok.

:thumbup:

Fair enough - I don't ride the S/Suburb races because of the cost involved just to get to the venue, let alone the entry fee. 200km there and back, getting up early (forking early), and still spending on pre- post and during race feeding.

So I rather ride the races out my side of the world. So for me to travel 40Km to the venue and spend R190 on a race works for me.

I don't ride league, so I planned to ride, TdPPA, Bouckeart, 99'er, Medallion and Wilde.

Edit: as it is your 'free' weekend, go for it and rest, but by having sour grapes about a race's LATE entry fee that you weren't going to do is not fair either.

Edited by Tiny K

I race with game energy drink, I last bought a new rim 3 years ago and it cost me R1500. Petrol there and back will be around R150, plus the entry fee of R280. Add to that the fact that I need to get up @ 4am to be on time makes this amazingly unattractive....

I find these threads complaining about the cost of races a bit strange. Every week I marvel at the new gear that people have on their bikes (if not a new bike) and its not unusual for people to shell R15k for new wheels. Add to that the energy drinks and gels, petrol to drive to the venue and the opportunity cost of riding on a day you could probably be earning money some how and the the entry is by far the cheapest part of your day. If you enjoy riding in organised bunches (like me), pay the R190 and see me in the chute, if not, take your R50k bike and take it for a spin on your own.

:clap: :thumbup:

I would have ridden this race with Geno, but he is off to the land of 'snail eaters'. :wacko: So now riding solo to test the 'ol body.

Don't worry, I'll be behind you :ph34r:

Ok so in Cape Town we have 3 basic races:

1. Something over Ou Kaapse Weg

2. Something over Helshoogte Pass

3. Something around Malmesbury / Riebeeck Wes / Paardeberg

If its the scenery you're after you only need to do 3 races a year. If you are price sensitive pick the 3 cheapest races, or even better hook up with your friends for a morning ride on one of these routes. For the odd variation they may throw in a sprint along the R27.

I think the late entry system is plain stupid. They should simply close entries a week before the event and only let the early entrants participate. They then have the exact numbers and can eliminate the contingencies and if they have access to a decent weather site, they'll have a pretty good idea of what to provide at the event.

This weekend past I entered a road running event. Now this crowd is still in the dark ages with timing and orginisation. Timing is done by hand, there is no seeding system, only 4 portable toilets for about 900 people and for all this you pay about R60 or so. I enjoyed the route and the good attitude of the volunteers and marshals but would gladly pay a little bit more for more toilets, better seeding and timing.

We in the cycling community have it good and don't realize it.

Ok so in Cape Town we have 3 basic races:

1. Something over Ou Kaapse Weg

2. Something over Helshoogte Pass

3. Something around Malmesbury / Riebeeck Wes / Paardeberg

If its the scenery you're after you only need to do 3 races a year. If you are price sensitive pick the 3 cheapest races, or even better hook up with your friends for a morning ride on one of these routes. For the odd variation they may throw in a sprint along the R27.

I think the late entry system is plain stupid. They should simply close entries a week before the event and only let the early entrants participate. They then have the exact numbers and can eliminate the contingencies and if they have access to a decent weather site, they'll have a pretty good idea of what to provide at the event.

This weekend past I entered a road running event. Now this crowd is still in the dark ages with timing and orginisation. Timing is done by hand, there is no seeding system, only 4 portable toilets for about 900 people and for all this you pay about R60 or so. I enjoyed the route and the good attitude of the volunteers and marshals but would gladly pay a little bit more for more toilets, better seeding and timing.

We in the cycling community have it good and don't realize it.

+1 For all their flaws, I think we can be glad to have PPA and Racetec