Vegetarian training

DBK

I think PRO rider Dave Zabriskie is also vegetarian or on some preferential diet plan like that.

Maybe check out his regimen, R B?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as you are so keen on saving the environment and water I sure hope you don't wear jeans

That's interesting. Howcome?

Perfect is the enemy of good enough. You can do a lot to reduce your impact without either sitting in a cave eating fruit that fell off a tree, or just throwing your hands up and saying "anything goes".

There's the point. Worth saying again!

I've been veg since January now and have been feeling great! Never do I feel bloated like after eating a fat steak :-) Although I still do sometimes crave one!

Got my supplement regime in line. B12, multi, and a daily protein powder shake. I eat a lot more it seems, and I have gotten leaner and stronger than before.

Of course its a personal call, and no worries if its not for you.

Have fun and cycle hard!

Vegetarians eat eggs and dairy, vegans don't. A lot of people are becoming vegetarian, or just eating less meat, because it's better for their health - not for any ethical, environmental or religious reasons.

Many people - my wife and me included - avoid meat but eat fish (so we're not vegetarian) because they contain nutrients difficult to get any other way, and it makes life so much easier when going out or travelling. I eat chicken occasionally (maybe once a month) and wouldn't turn up my nose at meat if someone put it in front of me. Life is too short.

We've lived this way for 30 years - I'll be 60 next birthday. All three of my siblings have a LOT of serious health issues, and spend a good chunk of their incomes on medical bills. I spend a good chunk of my income on supplements (and would do, even if I ate meat), haven't needed to consult a GP or take a prescription drug in more than a decade, and have no health issues.

Bottom line - think about cutting down/out meat without applying a label to yourself, just because you'll feel better. A lot of the "scientific facts" and ethical issues are debatable. Think about spending your money on supplements rather than doctors (google "food state supplements").

BTW, just to rattle a few cages, there's a very strong body of evidence that many of us are intolerant to dairy, wheat/gluten, or both, without knowing it. And that sucrose should be treated as a habit-forming drug. Also, some body types clearly do better with red meat than others. One size does not fit all.

different strokes. friend is a vegetarian and lets just say he spends more time at the doc than me and he has all the necessary supplements and eats quite well.

i on the other hand, manage my diet to a certain extent. eat meat drink coke and enjoy the odd treat. i am fit healthy and havent the need to see a gp unless i need that elusive sick note when the waves are good ;P (said in jest)

but as most of you know we are all different

more to just eating meat. i dont trust your half hearted research

Geecee,

I am impressed by your train of thought. I like it if I am questioned. It makes me think. With you I can have a sensible debate without finding myself in an opposite corner being seen as a freak. For what it is worth I went to the US Environmental Protection Agency website http://www.epa.gov/ and did a search on 'Vegetarianism'. Many page of supporting information appeared. (For some, of course, the research done by ANY government agency is by implication flawed - especially the USA gov.) I nevertheless found the material of interest and I hope you do too.

In no way is it my intent to try to convince anyone to become a vegetarian. Like religion (I belong to a non-prophit organisation - being a non-theist) it is not my intent to convert anyone. We all have to make up our own minds as to how we live our lives without being too critical of how others decide.

Keep well. Johan

Geecee,

I am impressed by your train of thought. I like it if I am questioned. It makes me think. With you I can have a sensible debate without finding myself in an opposite corner being seen as a freak. For what it is worth I went to the US Environmental Protection Agency website http://www.epa.gov/ and did a search on 'Vegetarianism'. Many page of supporting information appeared. (For some, of course, the research done by ANY government agency is by implication flawed - especially the USA gov.) I nevertheless found the material of interest and I hope you do too.

In no way is it my intent to try to convince anyone to become a vegetarian. Like religion (I belong to a non-prophit organisation - being a non-theist) it is not my intent to convert anyone. We all have to make up our own minds as to how we live our lives without being too critical of how others decide.

Keep well. Johan

i too am a non-prophet follower :P

there are a lot of arguments both ways. if you dig further there is even a study highlighting the implications of farming (in the non livestock sense) and the fact that a lot of 'wild' animals get killed (probably inhumanely) in the process of growing and harvesting.

that being said, a huge portion of crop goes to feeding the livestock that us carnivores so enjoy.

always an interesting debate, i can go for ages (have a friend that is a veggie so there is always a tongue in cheek debate around it. but i do like to have my facts