R.I.P MERVYN DINKELMAN

bassasdaindia

Hi Guys,Merv went to bed and just never awoke,Sid,his younger brother tried to wake him and then called the paramedics..... The paramedics seem to think he may have somehow suffocated but we will know for certain once the autopsy results are available. Merv was a great cyclist and friend,he represented SA many a time and was always willing to dish out advise and help anyone........ He will be always remain a true friend and got me on SAs TT podium plenty times with his advise,suggestions and use of his disc!! My heart goes out to Elsje,and his 3 kids....... Merv was a legend and always will be....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,Merv went to bed and just never awoke,Sid,his younger brother tried to wake him and then called the paramedics..... The paramedics seem to think he may have somehow suffocated but we will know for certain once the autopsy results are available. Merv was a great cyclist and friend,he represented SA many a time and was always willing to dish out advise and help anyone........ He will be always remain a true friend and got me on SAs TT podium plenty times with his advise,suggestions and use of his disc!! My heart goes out to Elsje,and his 3 kids....... Merv was a legend and always will be....

I agree :

"MERV WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A LEGEND "

I agree :

"MERV WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A LEGEND "

Larry, I will never forget that one Epic where you lost your sense of humour, Merv was so patient and showed himself to be a race partner one can only dream of.

Larry, I will never forget that one Epic where you lost your sense of humour, Merv was so patient and showed himself to be a race partner one can only dream of.

ha ha : let me describe merv,at our second epic my wife was taking us to the start line,on route merv opens a tupperware from our kitchen and starts eating the choclate cake that my wife baked the night before.

not 5 min later,my wife asks merv: "have you got everything and starts going through the check list

1) helmet -yup

2) raincoat - yup

3) shoes -nope..........what do you mean nope !

4) water bottles out the fridge - nope !

that best describes merv,and needles to say he then stops at the first water point that day and takes a piece of choclate cake out of his pocket to eat.

he was a riding partner of note,never stressed never hassled.

Edited by bassasdaindia

ha ha : let me describe merv,at our second epic my wife was taking us to the start line,on route merv opens a tupperware from our kitchen and starts eating the choclate cake that my wife baked the night before.

not 5 min later,my wife asks merv: "have you got everything and starts going through the check list

1) helmet -yup

2) raincoat - yup

3) shoes -nope..........what do you mean nope !

4) water bottles out the fridge - nope !

that best describes merv,and needles to say he then stops at the first water point that day and takes a piece of choclate cake out of his pocket to eat.

he was a riding partner of note,never stressed never hassled.

Sounds like an awesome gent. Sorry for your loss. It's a cliche, but at times like these, I always say it's best to celebrate his life than mourn his passing. Your post just did the former.

RIP.

For those that would like to attend Merv's funeral :

Wednesday 15th Feb

11h00

Gereformeerde Kerk Centurion

Basden Ave

(close to Unitas Hospital)

I saw that some riders were wearing black armbands in his memory at the Ride for Sight.

do you know if it was in respect to Merv ?

do you know if it was in respect to Merv ?

It was. I didn't know Merv, and first found out about his passing from Desere Girdlestone's Twitter post last week. She posted a pic or two of some riders wearing them, saying it was for Merv.