Best hot weather MTB helmet?

Clinton1

Hey guys,

I know this will be a little subjective but in your opinion which is the best mountain bike helmet for hot weather?

I am currently using a cheap one and it gets hellishing hot when riding on these hot, humid Durban summer days. It has nowhere near enough vents.

Any suggestions welcome for interests sake but I will not be looking at spending a fortune so, and I'm not sure how possible this is, but ideally under R500 and if that is not at all possible then definitely not over R1k.

Thanks.

I recently started wearing a Buff (spelling?) under my helmet and to my surprise couldn't believe how cool it was. And it stops the sweat running onto your eye wear. Not really answering your question though.

Not sure there is such a thing as a "hot weather helmet", but best best is to to go try the lightest, most well vented you can. Helmets are a personal fit, so hard to recommend one just based on what you need specifically, cause for that pleasure you will pay more then a grand unfortunately.

I recently started wearing a Buff (spelling?) under my helmet and to my surprise couldn't believe how cool it was. And it stops the sweat running onto your eye wear. Not really answering your question though.

I do the same, I don't get to hot either and it saves the ears & neck from getting burnt.

I ride with a BBB moca, which was R1250, I know its over your budget, but I never worry about it being to hot, even with the humidty and heat of Durbs

Yeah, that sweat issue is a big one too. I often get it building up on the forehead or eyebrows and then on occasion you'll get some in your eye which stings like a bitch.

Bizarre in that I'd think having something more on your head would make it even hotter but worth it for the dripping sweat.

Not sure there is such a thing as a "hot weather helmet", but best best is to to go try the lightest, most well vented you can. Helmets are a personal fit, so hard to recommend one just based on what you need specifically, cause for that pleasure you will pay more then a grand unfortunately.

Yeah, I have noticed that the less helmet there is the more you'll pay for it.

between my Fox Flux and Cratoni C-bolt, the latter wins hands down for being better ventilated.

I've always liked the look of the Fox Flux but it is not cheap. I also wondered with that extra back protection how cool it is. Not heard of that other one so I'll check it out.

The problem with trying on in a shop is that it will give me an idea of fit but without a quick ride on a hot day I'll not really know how it handles the heat.

but ideally under R500 and if that is not at all possible then definitely not over R1k.

Thanks.

There's an ad in the classifieds for a Rudy Project for R400. Stunning helmet.

It's a medium. In PTA, I'll arrange postage for you if you're keen - it's not my helmet.

(It's a "road" helmet, but what's the difference?)

There's an ad in the classifieds for a Rudy Project for R400. Stunning helmet.

It's a medium. In PTA, I'll arrange postage for you if you're keen - it's not my helmet.

(It's a "road" helmet, but what's the difference?)

I spotted a Bell Sweep on there the other day, came back today with money in hand and it's sold :( hence me now asking. I'll check the one you refer to. Thanks

For bang for buck, I'd go for the Bell slant. If you can bear to part with a little more cash, IMO you can't do better than the Bell Sweep XC. However, like in previous post, a highly subjective thing.

Do any of you have experience with the Rudy Project Zuma helmet?

I have read some reviews saying it is not the coolest helmet around.

check out the met with 22 vents and silicon inserts minimum contact points on your head and no sweaty inners. only down side is price

Get your self the rudy project windmax .. Best I ever had . You won't go wrong with it . And it has a solid inner lining for the winter .. Go to ASG and sort out your problem

• 2 months later...