Ladies' Dual Suspension: 26 or 29?

flymango

My wife and I are currently looking at upgrading her current Specialized Rockhopper 26" hardtail to a dual suspension bike. Dual suspension is a given requirement. So now we're confronted with the dilemma that's been debated to death here on The Hub - 26 or 29? Except I haven't seen too much of the debate for ladies. Any (lady) views out there based on 29er experience, ladies' specific 26 vs men's 29, the wait til 2013 for ladies' specific 29ers, etc?

Thanks.

How tall is your wife? The big wheels might be a bit awkward for a a shorter person, and stand over height also becomes an issue. In that case a 26 inch bike would probably be easier to handle.

How tall is your wife? The big wheels might be a bit awkward for a a shorter person, and stand over height also becomes an issue. In that case a 26 inch bike would probably be easier to handle.

1.69 m and 55 kg. Very fit (regularly runs half marathons) but average strength (power).

In the end I think the best would be to take both a 26er and 29er for a demo ride and let her decide what she feels more comfortable on, but I think it will be the 26er.

1.69 m and 55 kg. Very fit (regularly runs half marathons) but average strength (power).

Is she the stereotypical female shape: long legs, shorter upper body?

Is she the stereotypical female shape: long legs, shorter upper body?

Yip. So the issue of ladies' geometry with lady-specific bikes probably comes into play?

What bikes have you got in mind, what does she have her eye on, and more importantly what does SHE think in the debate? :)

Yip. So the issue of ladies' geometry with lady-specific bikes probably comes into play?

Well, possibly yes and possibly no. Fit at that height won't be too big an issue. Probably a small to medium, depending on brand. I'd ask, before that and any other consideration, how skilled is she and how confident is he on the bike?

What bikes have you got in mind, what does she have her eye on, and more importantly what does SHE think in the debate? :)

SHE's interested in a Specialized Era Comp 26 (100mm) or Specialized Safire Comp 26 (120mm), but only because there isn't yet a ladies' specific dual suspension 29'er (from Specialized). So whilst she's keen to get a 26er, she's obviously also intrigued by the 29er debate, and she wondered whether any other ladies had dual suspension 29ers, and if so are they lady-specific (make?) or small men's bikes (make?), and how do ladies experience the 29er compared to the 26er. ;)

Well, possibly yes and possibly no. Fit at that height won't be too big an issue. Probably a small to medium, depending on brand. I'd ask, before that and any other consideration, how skilled is she and how confident is he on the bike?

Average technical skills and confidence (errs on the side of caution)

Average technical skills and confidence (errs on the side of caution)

I'd say 26" for now. She can put what skills she's gained to better use with a 26er and maybeprogress to a 29er later. I reckon the 26er will be more confidence-inspiring until she gains a bigger skillset.

Why not wait till the end of the Epic and see how the ladies do on 29'rs and maybe ask their opinion. It is only a few weeks away.

Why not wait till the end of the Epic and see how the ladies do on 29'rs and maybe ask their opinion. It is only a few weeks away.

Sani2c prep ... good idea though.

If you plan to do long marathon type riding the bigger wheels should be better. The 26er will be better in tight single track with lots of slow sections and accelerations. The 29er will be more stable on downhills, rocks, sand and turns.

Flymango: no brainer: go straight to 29er because of the type of riding she will be doing XCM. I know a lady who was of similar height that switched to a 29er, and did fantastically well. Dont underestimate her ability to develop the necessary skills as she goes. It's how we all did it. There's no real skill requirement going with 26 or 29", except the basic one of being able to ride a bike. The rest will come with time in the saddle.

As for asking other's their opinion, might as well ask a chameleon in a smartiebox which color he is going with. Go with the facts, not opinions. It's way less confusing. I say take the plunge, she wont be sorry.

Why don't you chat to eyecandy? She puts a lot of us to shame on her Niner ds machine and white pant.... And she looks good doing it?