Stuck Carbon Seat Post

stomps

cut it in half. :whistling:

When it happened to me, it took the LBS like 2 weeks to get it sorted, they had to put something down there to loosen it up.

We couldn't even move it at home.

Is this a common problem? Any way to avoid this happening, going to be putting a new seatpost into my first carbon frame and would like to try avoid this.

Is this a common problem? Any way to avoid this happening, going to be putting a new seatpost into my first carbon frame and would like to try avoid this.

Yeah, use a "carbon specific" compound. Available from most decent LBS. It has anti slip properties to prevent the carbon items slipping past each other, as you do not tighten it as much as alu / steel.

Yeah, use a "carbon specific" compound. Available from most decent LBS. It has anti slip properties to prevent the carbon items slipping past each other, as you do not tighten it as much as alu / steel.

Would this apply to a carbon seatpost in a carbon frame, or does it also occur with alu seatpost in carbon frame as well?

Goes both ways. I'm under the impression that some chemical reaction causes the parts to fuse together if there is no carbon compound there.

Where's the real technical boffs to put us straight?

because I wanted to run a reverb in my carbon frame (and because that reverb was a different diameter as I took it off one of my other bikes, and wasn't keen to buy another one), i bought a seatpost shim.

The shim is alu and collared so cannot slip all the way into the seatpost tube. I guess without that proper compaound I run the risk of the shim getting stuck to the frame, but the seatpost itself wont.

I had a carbon seatpost on my previous alu bike. Took the post out one day and found some corrosion to it (had a bit of a struggle to get it out) LBS then put this carbon compound in for me. On my current all carbon bike, I made sure this compound was used upon assembly.

Edited by Wannabe

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=how%20to%20remove%20a%20stuck%20carbon%20seatpost%20from%20carbon%20frame&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsheldonbrown.com%2Fstuck-seatposts.html&ei=QDBDT_KvItGJhQfl9uXXBQ&usg=AFQjCNG5o-ZP2NKs23RiWo-db3tjbbAx_w

Point 13 is aimed at carbon post in a carbon frame.

I have removed a few of these and trust me it aint fun and games. Nothing you throw down the frame to "loosen" it works. To remove a carbon or alu post from a alu frame is "easy" compared to removing a carbon post that has bonded on a carbon frame.

Tools you will need: hacksaw blade, long thin flat screw driver, hammer, chisel and lots and lots of patience, care and time.

Not sure if I'm being a bit over the top here, and it may be a bit off topic, but it is a good idea to put some sort of protection around the seat tube where the front mech clamps?

If it is carbon on aluminium, then remove the BB and fill the seat tube with coke. Leave it overnight.

Carbon on carbon, sorry no idea.

If it is carbon on aluminium, then remove the BB and fill the seat tube with coke. Leave it overnight.

Carbon on carbon, sorry no idea.

Carbon on carbon, sorry but you'll have to pick one :thumbdown:

You will have to saw through the post just above the clamp, enough to grab with pliers/jaws.

then saw through the carbon seatpost so that you make a slit in it, this will allow you to eventually pinch it closed, effectively reducing it's diameter enought to free it without killing your frame.

Dont bother pouring anything down your frame, that seal is so tight it will never penetrate.

You may be able to clamp a bar into the saddle clamp to act as a T-Bar and thus be able to twist the seatpost and free it that way, shock treatment is best rather than a gentle twist.

a side note - carbon paste is great, it lowers the effective torque you need to clamp the seatpost to begin with, but regular maintenance is the real answer. reapply every three to 6 months

• 2 months later...

The weekend past I had to extract my carbon seatpost from my frame. It was no easy job. First I tried to twist it loose my clamping the seat clamp into my work bench vice and twisting it. This didn't do anything, so I cut off the seat post with about 5 cm to spare above the post clamp. I bought a hacksaw that grips the blade at the end and middle and a long triangular file and made 4 x insisions down the length of the seat post. The Noir post has 4 destinct lines where it is re enforced and I cut on the thin side. As the seatpost wore through I filed the last bit off. The file broke the carbon weave quite easily. My challenge was that the fused carbon didn't come off with the rest of the seat post. I had to chisel this away with a long thin flat nosed screw driver. Unfortunately I didn't manage to cut through the bottom of the seat post and a small bit is still stuck inside the bike. I pushed this bit down and simply fitted a new seatpost on top of the little stumpie left inside. The whole process took about 5 hours to complete.

If you ever do this, protect your hands. I have some carbon splinters in my hands that is irritating my skin to no end.