Sabie 45km

muis de kock

With the pleasant reminder of the challenging but forgiving Sabie Expirience Lite

and it’s awesome , no, BEST single tracks I have ever ridden in any race,

I was anticipating some of the same exhilarating sections in the Sabie classic 45k .

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, repressed memories of the heat

and humidity , and hellish climbs were screeching to be remembered.

I started in group C, after doing a fast few flat races in Gauteng, with a field

that seemed

pumped and focus for the task at hand.

After the whistle went , and a merry cheer of encouragement from the of spectators

the few first kilometres went by fast , and we found ourselves on the first of a lot of

mountain to be conquered. This did not faze me. As a matter of fact, the only

reason I bear with the climbs, is to get to the downhills and single-track (and spectacular

views of Sabie river valley)! The climbs tested my endurance for a weekend rider.

I know now that I AM UNFIT. I realised this because I was constantly looking for a

non-existent great granny gear.

The water points were well organised and placed and literally kept us alive during the accent.

My expectations were rewarded with fast downhill curvy stretches through pine plantations,

,challenging pine needle and red earth tracks (the eagle bit) and blistering fast jeep

tracks and dirt roads that made my brakes smoke and adrenaline surge!

A bonus was the wooden bridge with a crowd to edge on competitors right at the end to coax the last bit of strength out of unwilling legs.

Tough climbs, challenging tecnical sections, exceptionally arganised, overall,

a true mountain bike race!

I still have to convince a few of my colleagues to come down to the Lowveld and

experience real mountain biking. Some are still convinced that they can find tougher

and more enjoyable in Gauteng... (Aggies)

The first 11km were a brutal reminder of the tough rocky Sabie climbs but what an amazing race heat and all. A big well done to the organisers for a very well maked and organised race. Well done to Dennis Lawrie once again for his amazing routes, I know they had to put a lot of work into them after the floods in January.

Fantastic race, my whole family went through to ride.

Climbs seemed longer than when I rode it two years ago, I am sure they tweaked the 45 as well as the 75 km, but that single track is truly awesome, well worth the sweat getting up!

Can't agree with about the bridge though, I didn't see the point of putting an obstacle with 200 m to go and a friend of mine broke her shoulder on it. Good luck with your recovery DOT.

Fantastic race, my whole family went through to ride.

Climbs seemed longer than when I rode it two years ago, I am sure they tweaked the 45 as well as the 75 km, but that single track is truly awesome, well worth the sweat getting up!

Can't agree with about the bridge though, I didn't see the point of putting an obstacle with 200 m to go and a friend of mine broke her shoulder on it. Good luck with your recovery DOT.

The bridge was from the 114km split - their route was the 75km then through the stadium and back out onto the 40km it allowed the 75km to cross the finish line while they rode under it- a few of us moaned to anyone we knew who was part of the organising of the event and so they put the chicken run in for the 40km. I have to agree - not the way to finish a race when you are exhusted.

The bridge was from the 114km split - their route was the 75km then through the stadium and back out onto the 40km it allowed the 75km to cross the finish line while they rode under it- a few of us moaned to anyone we knew who was part of the organising of the event and so they put the chicken run in for the 40km. I have to agree - not the way to finish a race when you are exhusted.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Didn't mind it myself but my wife and our friend Dorothy both fell with one damaged shoulder the result.

Sure, she should have got her gear selection right so we aren't complaining just a bit bleak at the end result of an otherwise great race.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Didn't mind it myself but my wife and our friend Dorothy both fell with one damaged shoulder the result.

Sure, she should have got her gear selection right so we aren't complaining just a bit bleak at the end result of an otherwise great race.

I saw this happen and to be fair to the ladies (both fron Tzaneen Cycling Club if I have correct) it was very difficult to anticipate the right gear as the bridge was not visible when you crossed the Sabie river. As spectators we did two things, one was to get the chicken run opened up and the second was to warn the riders as soon as possible of the correct speed or to take the chicken run. Happily fewer falls after this but I do think that it was a rather difficult set of circumstances with a river bridge followed by a steepish incline, S bend and a wooden bridge with spectator pressure.

I hope Dot recovers soon as she seemed to be in a lot of pain with what looked like a dislocated shoulder.

I saw this happen and to be fair to the ladies (both fron Tzaneen Cycling Club if I have correct) it was very difficult to anticipate the right gear as the bridge was not visible when you crossed the Sabie river. As spectators we did two things, one was to get the chicken run opened up and the second was to warn the riders as soon as possible of the correct speed or to take the chicken run. Happily fewer falls after this but I do think that it was a rather difficult set of circumstances with a river bridge followed by a steepish incline, S bend and a wooden bridge with spectator pressure.

I hope Dot recovers soon as she seemed to be in a lot of pain with what looked like a dislocated shoulder.

Thanks for the positive action River Rat. Both girls were indeed from Tzaneen Cycling. Dot is having an operation and will be off her bike for 6 weeks or so. It sucks but MTB is not for sissies.

I'm the one who dislocated my shoulder on the bridge! Except for that, it was an awesome race! Really tough but we gave it our best and enjoyed it and aimed for 3hours and in the end with our fall managed a 3:04! The bridge idea was perfect for the saturday, but because I couldnt get over it on Sunday, I think it sucked! Wish I had the chicken run option at the end. The main problem was getting to a medic after crossing the line, we had to walk (what felt more than 1km) to get to a medic, only to be told that they cannot do anything for me and I had to go to hospital. Luckily I got to a local doctor quite quick and he managed to get my shoulder back in position again. My opinion - worst than having babies! Now having an operation next week, I'm out of the game for the next 6 weeks, so hopefully will be doing the Forest2falls end of April. So if one of those ones that tried to help me back on my bike after falling are reading this, thanks so much! I was really hoping to finish the race on my bike and not pushing it! Thanks to Louwie helping me over the finish line and sorry I beat you even if you were pushing my bike!

Dorothy from Tzaneen

Thanks for the positive action River Rat. Both girls were indeed from Tzaneen Cycling. Dot is having an operation and will be off her bike for 6 weeks or so. It sucks but MTB is not for sissies.

Hey TZmtb, do you ride a GT, was it you I was talking to in the start chute, I was on the Cannondale and we were discussing you getting a Supersix, I remember you mentioning you and your wife had come down from Tzaneen.

Hey TZmtb, do you ride a GT, was it you I was talking to in the start chute, I was on the Cannondale and we were discussing you getting a Supersix, I remember you mentioning you and your wife had come down from Tzaneen.

Hi Nick,

Yes, it was me on the GT drooling all over your Cannondale. Ssh, don't mention the Supersix, my wife might read this!

I didn't see you after you passed me at the start of the climb so you must have had a great race, well done.

See you on the trail.

Ray

I'm the one who dislocated my shoulder on the bridge! Except for that, it was an awesome race! Really tough but we gave it our best and enjoyed it and aimed for 3hours and in the end with our fall managed a 3:04! The bridge idea was perfect for the saturday, but because I couldnt get over it on Sunday, I think it sucked! Wish I had the chicken run option at the end. The main problem was getting to a medic after crossing the line, we had to walk (what felt more than 1km) to get to a medic, only to be told that they cannot do anything for me and I had to go to hospital. Luckily I got to a local doctor quite quick and he managed to get my shoulder back in position again. My opinion - worst than having babies! Now having an operation next week, I'm out of the game for the next 6 weeks, so hopefully will be doing the Forest2falls end of April. So if one of those ones that tried to help me back on my bike after falling are reading this, thanks so much! I was really hoping to finish the race on my bike and not pushing it! Thanks to Louwie helping me over the finish line and sorry I beat you even if you were pushing my bike!

Dorothy from Tzaneen

A win is a win Dot!

Hi Nick,

Yes, it was me on the GT drooling all over your Cannondale. Ssh, don't mention the Supersix, my wife might read this!

I didn't see you after you passed me at the start of the climb so you must have had a great race, well done.

See you on the trail.

Ray

Hey Ray, nice that you are also on the Hub.

Did you catch your wife in Group C? :thumbup:

Are you guys going to be doing Forest to Falls?

Hey Ray, nice that you are also on the Hub.

Did you catch your wife in Group C? :thumbup:

Are you guys going to be doing Forest to Falls?

I almost did, but only because of Dot's fall (a win is a win dot and I don't usually beat you so I'll take it!)

Hope to see you at F2F Nick.

I almost did, but only because of Dot's fall (a win is a win dot and I don't usually beat you so I'll take it!)

Hope to see you at F2F Nick.

Yeah, Forest to Falls is always a great event, we already booked accomodation, hope the training goes okay and we will see you there.

Hi Nick,

See you on the trail.

Ray

What is the story about the supersix?? Hehe - this is fun to read my mtb friend's quotes...