MTB with slicks (heavier) wheel-set for the Argus?

BuddH

Does anyone know whether I would be better off riding the Argus on my Ghost soft-tail MTB... with slicks fitted, or with my MTB tyres?

(Obviously the slicks are better for the road ‘per se’ but the reason for the question is that the set of wheels I have with slicks fitted are 1.1kg heavier than my MTB wheel-set)

Would the lesser resistance of the slick tyres be cancelled out by the extra weight of the (1.1kg heavier) road wheel-set?

I would say that the lesser rolling resistance of slicks will be more of a benefit that the penalty of the extra weight. Go with slicks - better yet just put the slicks onto the lighter wheels or do you have incompatible tubeless & non-tubeless rims?

I'd say almost certainly... Depending on which knobblies you have, you can have up to 30% extra rolling resistance on the wheels thanks to the tread pattern & knobs (not to mention the softer rubber on the knobblies)

Why don't you change out the wheels & tires so that your lighter set has the slicks on? If you're running tubeless, it's not a hassle to re-seat & re-fill the tires...

I would say that the lesser rolling resistance of slicks will be more of a benefit that the penalty of the extra weight. Go with slicks - better yet just put the slicks onto the lighter wheels or do you have incompatible tubeless & non-tubeless rims?

Answer to the incompatability - use a tjoob!

Thanx guys. yes i am using tubeless mtb tyres with slime so it is quite a hassle (and messy) to change them and re-seat them every time i ride a road race. So i have a cheap (but heavier) set of wheels with road tyres all set up and read to simply swop over when i need them.

Wasn't really sure if they were a great advantage due to all that extra weight in the wheels though.

Small differences in weight is overrated (although less overrated when the weight is on the wheels). The lower rolling resistance of the slicks will make a much bigger difference. Go with the slicks. That's what I'll be doing.

also, the inertia of the heavier wheels will carry you further... but that said, they will take up more energy to get rolling... But you will also have less rolling resistance, as well as minimal wind resistance on the tire as well... I say, go for the slicks, as you will be able to get them going easily with MTB gearing...

I will also be going MTB and slicks with the Missus this year...

Hey Guys, thanks for the advise as I have the exact same setup - Tublless MTB (Maxiss Crossmark front and rear) using my old rims with slicks on. I must say though that the weight difference is deffinitely felt going uphill.

Recently did the "GP Koning Rollercoaster" 88km (Sun 5 March) with the slicks and felt the difference in weight and then changed back for a MTB social ride the following Sunday and was very glad to have the tubless back on again...

Obviously it depends on which MTB tyre set you have as I find the Maxiss Crossmark do quite a good job on the road as well, but just to be clear I think I'm still gonna go with the above advise and swop over to slicks for The Argus. Cheers