Newbie not knowing what to buy

Octavian

With R20 000 I'd built one from parts on the hub, Many people say it costs alot more BUT if you're patient you'll get some new stuff @ second-hand prices. I Built my bike for R12000 and I would say the same bike in the shop is about R30 000.

Exactly what I've just done, and built an awesome bike, a lot of new parts as well.

You are going to get a much better 20k hardtail then you will for a 20k dual suspension. Is there not a hubber that can help the man at a shop? Don't listen to your work collegue, you can get a decent dual for R12K.

Maybe not budget so much for kit, 10K seems a hell of a lot. If they can do you a deal, I'm sure you could do all you need for about R6-8K, with R2k left for the bike

Edited by Caerus

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they asked if I would like to enter. Seeing that they paying the entry fee I didn't think it to unfair.

Scotty: A "know it all" colleague of mine has suggested that in terms of dual suspension, he doesn't even consider dual suspension at that price range due to quality concerns. He says at that price that the bike is more likely to break than anything else...

So do you suppose its the Fox floats, the Shimano XT (fullhouse), the Ritchey components or the frame of my bike that Scotty thinks is likely to break?

Hey guys,

I have done some research and I recon that I am going to go with a Scott Spark 35 2012. Any views?

go check out www.thesportsbasement.co.za

They have Spez and Trek amongst others 2011 models mainly at around 33% discount

One that stands out is a Specialized Camber FSR Comp 26 dual suspension for R13 000-00

Yeah the camber scored 10 out 10 on MBR awesome bike, though a bit more of a trail bike than an XC bike, that said its one of the lightest trailbikes out there, so should do fine for a newby for the first year or two. Will make riding the rough stuff easier too.

And tell your know it all co-worker he knows diddly squat.

Most major bike brands use the same frame in entry, social, sport, competition level bikes (if i may label them as such). its just the mix of components that vary in entry, social, sport, and comp level normally has carbon frames and top of the range everything.

your budget allows you to look at the competition level bikes in certain brands, being Giant, Scott, GT, Silverback, and a couple other lesser known.

So do you suppose its the Fox floats, the Shimano XT (fullhouse), the Ritchey components or the frame of my bike that Scotty thinks is likely to break?

Scotty said no such thing.

Not you Scotty, other Scotty

Well, they asked if I would like to enter. Seeing that they paying the entry fee I didn't think it to unfair.

Scotty: A "know it all" colleague of mine has suggested that in terms of dual suspension, he doesn't even consider dual suspension at that price range due to quality concerns. He says at that price that the bike is more likely to break than anything else...

Just thinking CWC is selling the giant anthem carbon frame for 8k, xt wheelset 3k xt groupset 4.5 decent rubber, shock 4k, pickup a saddle and seatpost and handlebar/ stem cheap cheap.

You have a bike that sold for 50k last year for 21k.

And poof a 10kg dual suspension trail/race monster.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW, with that budget, i'd rather borrow a bike for R5k and spend the rest on a lekker holiday after the Tuli. :whistling:

Octavian - I't would be worth your while to pop into thesportsbasement, they are located in woodmead.

like previous posters said, seriously consider the Specialized Camber.

You might like the colour scheme, it's almost a retro look (gold, gloss black, etc) with gold nipple's and cables, etc... i personally love it.

http://thesportsbasement.co.za/p/34/camber-fsr-comp-26

At R13,000 it's a steal.... I would use the R7k to 1. Change the brakeset, 2. Change the Crankset, 3. Get a super cool saddle like F'zik Gobi, 4. Tubeless conversion..... then you would have something seriously awesome... (it comes standard with dropper post cable routing, so squeeze your budget and order a Reverb2 from CRC, it would be the best investment ever)!!!!

DO IT!!! DO IT!!! But be quick, their stock on these wont last long.

Hey man, If my 2cents help, id definitely go for a softy for your kind of riding. And your boss may have done the epic... fantastic. but for R20000 you can definitely get an awesome dual suspension. He sounds like the man with all the gear no idea. Id also look for a 2011 bike, they normally drop the price right down and you'll still be getting a fantastic bike with all the warranties service etc. enjoy!!!

+10000

as someone else mentioned the majority of guys that i know start on a HT then 'test' a Soft tail and want to upgrade straight away.

ride a few bikes if you can and see what you like. 20k is not a small amount of money, i picked up a softail with 140mm susp and xt components for 5.5k including helmet and shoes and spares. the bike was hardly used and im tough on equipment, all ive replaced is a chain.

keep your eyes open and dont let your boss sway your decision, its your choice at the end of the day. and your investment.

best advice is get on some bikes and try them out.

PS: get a 27.5" :clap: :whistling: :oops:

Hey guys,

I dont know if you saw a previous post, but I eventually bought a Scott Spark 35.

Awesome bike and I am enjoying it a lot!

Hey guys,

I dont know if you saw a previous post, but I eventually bought a Scott Spark 35.

Awesome bike and I am enjoying it a lot!

Thats a great bike my wife has the spark 30 same bike just with xt not sram. The great thing about that bike is its carbon frame (pretty much the same frame in the carbon range till the RC)so its easy to upgrade to make a cool racing machine. I think you made a great choice.

Edited by Ceres