Packing list for a 20 day unsupported MTB tour

The Silverback Man

I am going to do a 20day MTB tour throw Namibia in June. I am doing it totally unsupported and solo. What do you think I will need for this (everything that you can think of?) thanks for the help I just don’t want to miss something

You riding with panniers or a trailer? Or everything in your backpack?

Planning to camp, or stay over at B&B?

You planning to do touristy things inbetween, or only cycle?

I am going to do a 20day MTB tour throw Namibia in June. I am doing it totally unsupported and solo. What do you think I will need for this (everything that you can think of?) thanks for the help I just don’t want to miss something

sounds a bit ambitious, but that probably depends on your definition of 'mtb'.

if you're staying on the dirt roads and going from dorp to dorp, then take 2 pairs of shorts a few spares and a credit card.

What quality cellphone signal do you have?

One might consider renting some sort of satellite phone if its terrible coverage.

maybe you should by yourself a nice breitling emergency transponder watch.

If the poop hits the fan, you unscrew the transponder and people come save you.

post-18409-0-65441900-1330756857.jpg

I would go with panniers and full camping kit - nothing like camping out in that desert. And no one there, largely. Couple of 2l bottles of water in reserve. Essential packing for me would be some 1/2 decent binnocs and Collins "Pocket Guide to Stars & Planets".

Lots of way points and places of interest, but very far apart. Not much in those dorps besides bottle stores and if you are lucky a German bakery or a Fleisch Fest. Some amazing Bushman rock art sites and often some facilities (ie Twyfelfontein). Winter is special, the colours and tones of the dry grasses are amazing. But nights are long and cold.

As for the bike, hardtail mtb with lockable fork, rugged Kevlar lined tyres, and the obvious spares.

http://www.entopia.org.za/travels/nambia1995/schnit.jpg

Edited by kosmonooit

More info

I am riding with panniers and a 35l backpack

I am going to camp sins it is to far to ride from dorp to dorp and wil camp next to the road

Mostly just cycling but am going to speak at a couple of places spreading the word of the charity that I am cycling for

Buying things there isn’t going to be a option

Almost no cell phone signal

I would go with panniers and full camping kit - nothing like camping out in that desert. And no one there, largely. Couple of 2l bottles of water in reserve. Essential packing for me would be some 1/2 decent binnocs and Collins "Pocket Guide to Stars & Planets".

Lots of way points and places of interest, but very far apart. Not much in those dorps besides bottle stores and if you are lucky a German bakery or a Fleisch Fest. Some amazing Bushman rock art sites and often some facilities (ie Twyfelfontein). Winter is special, the colours and tones of the dry grasses are amazing. But nights are long and cold.

As for the bike, hardtail mtb with lockable fork, rugged Kevlar lined tyres, and the obvious spares.

http://www.entopia.org.za/travels/nambia1995/schnit.jpg

as jy wil kan ek die roete vir jou stuur dis al klaar beplan

More info

I am riding with panniers and a 35l backpack

I am going to camp sins it is to far to ride from dorp to dorp and wil camp next to the road

Mostly just cycling but am going to speak at a couple of places spreading the word of the charity that I am cycling for

Buying things there isn’t going to be a option

Almost no cell phone signal

well if you tell us what you're taking we can give better advice. i guess you do have a packing list by now. are you taking a pump?

otherwise the web is your friend.

http://travellingtwo.com/

Solo!

20 days.

Wow!

Safety, safety, safety.

Medical.

Communication.

Clear route with designated stops and back up spots.

GOOD LUCK

well if you tell us what you're taking we can give better advice. i guess you do have a packing list by now. are you taking a pump?

otherwise the web is your friend.

http://travellingtwo.com/

ek het so biekie van n lys maar wil almal se bydra he dat ek nie iets mis nie endan sal ek kyk waarsonder ek kan klaar kom om gewig te spaar