Driving to the Argus Race - be careful .....

Konaman

We need some of those cops here, who actually take their jobs seriously and want to make a difference, not just collect revenue.

Yes. We also need people to get the point of your story. Seems to me, the copper was trying to get you to understand, take responsibility, and police yourself.

We need people like that more than we need more or better cops.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite song's by Judas Priest "Breaking the law" .... number plates suck catch me if you can ....

ok ok before you all beat me to death I'm joking ... seriously !

If you're a "the law is THE LAW" type where you think it's perfectly acceptable to trap on long, wide downhills rather than accident hot spots then it is definitely cut and dried.

I was caught speeding is Aus - doing 110kph in a 100kph zone (cruising with SA 120km/h autopilot on!). Office quoted exactly how many accidents had happended on the road in the past 2 years (1 was fatal) and told me that he was going to trap there until they had made the safety upgrades recommended by the state.

THAT is effective speed trapping - not the bs that passes for law enforcement in SA.

C'mon dude - I (mis)took you for a thinker!

Agreed, but that is in refference to a 1st world country where the law enforcement use common sense (And logic it would seem) to make informed decisions. Trapping in a high risk/accident area would be the right thing to do in that any situation. The law is still the law and whether you break it in the Freestate doing 180km/h outside Villiers or in your local neighbourhood doing 80 in a 60 zone, you have still broken the law.

Whether the idiot behind the camera was in a "good spot" or not is not the arguement here. I hear what you are saying about doing a reasonable speed in excess of the limit, but what is reasonable? That boils down to risk and how much are you willing to take...

Some of the "Law enforcement" here is not that at all, but rather revenue generation. Putting a car and two policemen on a deserted straight road in the middle of nowhere to catch speedsters to me is counter productive. There are known hotspots that are responsible for many accidents or at least close calls (I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head around where I live and work) that should have a higher police presence (Running red robots at the N2-M7 offramp. We are talking 7-8 cars through red here at every change!!!), but the doughnut munchers are parked under a bridge camoflaging a speed camera to catch people doing 80 in a 60 zone. (on a 4 lane road might I add)

No common sense, but the revenue gerated is huge.

If you have broken the law, it is cut and dried. Guilty or not guilty, not guilty with extenuating circumstances. Come now!

Edited by Grebel

Yes. We also need people to get the point of your story. Seems to me, the copper was trying to get you to understand, take responsibility, and police yourself.

We need people like that more than we need more or better cops.

Sort of, I dont fully agree, people get distracted, they make mistakes, most are actually fairly law abiding but get the ruler on the knuckles because they made a mistake.

In my opinion the Florida cop knew I made a mistake, whats better, give you a fine and off you go, or impress on you what you did wrong.? In the end it was no skin off his nose, I was the only one who was inconvenienced and he got his point across in an exemplary manner. Thats policing in my opinion, and I respected his attitude, if we trained our police to recognize the difference between someone who made an honest mistake and someone who is blatantly disregarding the law, we would have a much happier motoring public and a more respected police force.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

I dont quite understand the placement you posted eccentric, what would be the minimum distance between signs that go 120-80-60.?

Then I have another question right up you ally mate, what is the maximum height of those speed bumps they erect in the roads, I have been noticing that recently these bumps seem to be getting higher and higher (an no my car is not getting lower and lower) so that now its almost impossible to go straight over them no matter what speed, you actually need to drive them at a slant.

I could not find any spec in the SATTC Standard Spec..... our "bible". These things are usually user defined. Ou omies that sit under a trees building them. What I did find everywhere in Africa the speed bump commands a helluva lot of respect. Even taxi's slow down for them.

The table I printed are confusing. They show the distance a sign must be from an obstruction. I do not have the whole manual with me. I will look in some standard plans for deviations tonight. They are usually the same as for finshed roads.

I could not find any spec in the SATTC Standard Spec..... our "bible". These things are usually user defined. Ou omies that sit under a trees building them. What I did find everywhere in Africa the speed bump commands a helluva lot of respect. Even taxi's slow down for them.

The table I printed are confusing. They show the distance a sign must be from an obstruction. I do not have the whole manual with me. I will look in some standard plans for deviations tonight. They are usually the same as for finshed roads.

Okay, thanks.

Sort of, I dont fully agree, people get distracted, they make mistakes, most are actually fairly law abiding

They are? I need to move to the Estate then, cause the motorists I see on my commute, and walking my kids to school, the ones who speed, and, for the love of all things holy, can not stop at one single stop street, are most definitely not "law abiding".

Maybe they're just distracted by their BBM... Oh, wait, that's illegal too.