How hard is the Panorama Tour?

G-Unit

Hey all,

I can get a partially sponsored entry to the Panorama Tour, but have never done a road race before(!) I know this is a very subjective question, but how tough is it? I ride mtb and have done a few stage races.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done it twice and would love to do it again. Really nice event. A lot of climbing. How hard depent on yourself - if you want to race it or just cruise along. Us back markers enjoy the shooters and pizza lasts waterpoint on day 3. Just do it! You wont be sorry.

I have done it twice and would love to do it again. Really nice event. A lot of climbing. How hard depent on yourself - if you want to race it or just cruise along. Us back markers enjoy the shooters and pizza lasts waterpoint on day 3. Just do it! You wont be sorry.

Just done it (confirmed entry).

Now I just need to figure out how to ride a road bike... ^_^

Done 3 - One of the best road races in South Africa but if you have not trained you are in deep do do. Get those climbing legs out for this one.

Hope you are in ability of about 10% of your race partner else it can be really tough or really boring

Did it for the first time last year

if you are used to stage races it shoudl be fine

hardness will depend (as Zoo pointed out), on whether you race or ride the event

pretty much a mind over matter thing, but beware days 1 and 3 are hard, with plenty climbing

day 2 is superfast and the TT is a bitch

enjoy

There is not a single piece of flat road in Mpumalanga - it's either up or down. That said, it is a fantastic event, well organised, beautiful scenery, a challenging but doing route, and great bike racing. The two man team idea on the road works well - adds a new dynamic. I "raced" with a mate, while our wives had more of a fun ride.

Show me a water point at any other race that serves vodka shooters and pizza.

My race report from 2011 is here

Done 3 - One of the best road races in South Africa but if you have not trained you are in deep do do. Get those climbing legs out for this one.

Hope you are in ability of about 10% of your race partner else it can be really tough or really boring

I have only done 1 and would agree it was a great race but it is pretty tough with all the climbing!

I must say that how close you are in ability to your partner does depend very much on the person ..... I rode it with an excellent guy who was not as strong as I was at the time. Right up front I was Ok with that and went out to enjoy myself which I most certainly did. I would hope that my encouragement helped him to have a good ride as well!

Perhaps Delgado/R2D2 could comment as they were there :ph34r:

Edited by BigBen

Doing it with my wife, who is about 25 kg lighter than me, so i'm gonna get murdered on the climbs...

2200m of climbing on day 1??? That's cr@p-load on any type of bike!

just checked

Stage 1 - 115km - 2213m

Stage 2 - 80km - 1192m

Stage 3 - 113km - 2055m

Stage 4 - 23.3 TT - 454m, looks great....decisions

total of 331.30Kms and 5914ms of climbing :devil:

Edited by 1hill@aTime

just checked

Stage 1 - 115km - 2213m

Stage 2 - 80km - 1192m

Stage 3 - 113km - 2055m

Just booked our entry aswell. Going to do it with my day. Will have to race Sub-Vets going to be a great get away.

just checked

Stage 1 - 115km - 2213m

Stage 2 - 80km - 1192m

Stage 3 - 113km - 2055m

1hill@aTime it will be! :lol:

I have only done 1 and would agree it was a great race but it is pretty tough with all the climbing!

I must say that how close you are in ability to your partner does depend very much on the person ..... I rode it with an excellent guy who was not as strong as I was at the time. Right up front I was Ok with that and went out to enjoy myself which I most certainly did. I would hope that my encouragement helped him to have a good ride as well!

Perhaps Delgado/R2D2 could comment as they were there :ph34r:

Must agree with Big Ben. It is all down to your mindset and attitude. Set yr expectations as ateam before the race and stick to that agreement

Panorama is a fantastic race, do it.

Must agree with Big Ben. It is all down to your mindset and attitude. Set yr expectations as ateam before the race and stick to that agreement

Panorama is a fantastic race, do it.

Thanks, looking forward to it. Especially the individual TT. Skintight onesie with aero helmet anyone? :-)

• 1 month later...