Argus (and other races) starting groups

krokki

I started in U group and was part of the front runners of that group. I got held up by many bunches throughout the race particularly from Simonstown through to Smitswinkel. I did a PB which could have been better. I consider this year as building for next year, when I will have a better seeding with hopefully less traffic.

In general I agree - it's great ride to be a part of, and we choose to do it for just that reason. I'd differ on 1 part though - getting past slower bunches is one thing, that's part and parcel of riding. Getting through a solid block of charity riders who stop dead right across the road at the bottom of a dip starts to become risky to say the least. The logic of mixing seeded riders and fun groups beats me.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In general I agree - it's great ride to be a part of, and we choose to do it for just that reason. I'd differ on 1 part though - getting past slower bunches is one thing, that's part and parcel of riding. Getting through a solid block of charity riders who stop dead right across the road at the bottom of a dip starts to become risky to say the least. The logic of mixing seeded riders and fun groups beats me.

valid point :thumbup:

Agree with all of the above.

However I would like to add this. For the single letter groups, yea sure go on off at a speed of knots and have a quick time. But if you are in the double letter groups surely you need to accept that there will be riders with HUGELY different skill levels. Starting in the PA group you could see the guys riding all over the road and looking down to change gears and everything you really should not do on a bike. But hey for these folk its a FUN ride! So no complaining.

We had some OA,OB, OC, OD and even OE riders come flying past doing the usually Lance impersonation, being all hoity toity arty farty about it. I have a gripe with this. If you want to ride fast then do a seeding ride and get into the seeded classes. Dont try be funny in the lower groups where most people are just wanting to finish.

Why is there such an attitude of arrogance with more professional cyclists? I am reading this SO much on this site! "Being all hoity toity and arty farty" really? And other people saying the "slow pokes" etc, come on, same applies for you guys who have been doing this for many years, if you dont want the "slow poke hoity toity arty farty" people then dont do the argus where there are THOUSANDS of people doing it for the experience! Everyone has to start somewhere. I did Die Burger and so did my colleague and we were still in group OB, so there are factors to consider. And yes, I went flying past, and beat, people who started in groups before me. Why is that even an issue? I trained hard and loved every minute of the argus, I'm a complete amatuer and will continue to do the argus every year because everyone, pro or not, has the right to enjoy this beautiful race!

Why is there such an attitude of arrogance with more professional cyclists? I am reading this SO much on this site! "Being all hoity toity and arty farty" really? And other people saying the "slow pokes" etc, come on, same applies for you guys who have been doing this for many years, if you dont want the "slow poke hoity toity arty farty" people then dont do the argus where there are THOUSANDS of people doing it for the experience! Everyone has to start somewhere. I did Die Burger and so did my colleague and we were still in group OB, so there are factors to consider. And yes, I went flying past, and beat, people who started in groups before me. Why is that even an issue? I trained hard and loved every minute of the argus, I'm a complete amatuer and will continue to do the argus every year because everyone, pro or not, has the right to enjoy this beautiful race!

I think you're missing the point (or at least the point I was raising). I certainly don't question the right of everyone to be able to enter and enjoy this great event (or any ride for that matter). And I don't compare myself or judge against any rider in any way, slow, fast, fun, racer or any other. My only question is the wisdom of sticking faster riders who have earned a seeding behind riders the organisers know will be less experienced - it's not just about whether they may be slower or not, it's also about "how they will be slower". It's one thing enjoying the ride at your own pace, down the middle or left of the road. But spread across the road in a solid block at crucial points has as much to do about safety as it does about other people's speed etc.

I totally agree for most of us, the Argus is about a fun day out rather than trying to race or set a time etc etc - but if the organizers bother to create seedings, and hence know who is likely to be quicker, why not start them earlier? If not, then why bother with the higher alphabet double letter seedings.

I think you're missing the point (or at least the point I was raising). I certainly don't question the right of everyone to be able to enter and enjoy this great event (or any ride for that matter). And I don't compare myself or judge against any rider in any way, slow, fast, fun, racer or any other. My only question is the wisdom of sticking faster riders who have earned a seeding behind riders the organisers know will be less experienced - it's not just about whether they may be slower or not, it's also about "how they will be slower". It's one thing enjoying the ride at your own pace, down the middle or left of the road. But spread across the road in a solid block at crucial points has as much to do about safety as it does about other people's speed etc.

I totally agree for most of us, the Argus is about a fun day out rather than trying to race or set a time etc etc - but if the organizers bother to create seedings, and hence know who is likely to be quicker, why not start them earlier? If not, then why bother with the higher alphabet double letter seedings.

perhaps I did miss the point, I am just tired of reading everyone moaning on and on and on about the slower groups and later starters. I just think if you are going to do the argus, you know there are plenty of people who are going to annoy you and piss you off, it's just the way it is. Don't enter it if you are looking for a fast, smooth ride. And there are so many complaints about the argus but imagine trying to organise a race for 30 000 plus people, it must be a logistical nightmare. Just go out there and enjoy every minute of the vibe and the scenary, that's what I did and can't wait for next year!

Just go out there and enjoy every minute of the vibe and the scenary, that's what I did and can't wait for next year!

We definitely agree there ... bring it on!

I still have no idea why the Cat 1-3 system from last season was abandoned. Racing against guys with similar ability rather than age makes sense. that way being man or woman doesnt matter, you start where you belong or have worked hard to be.

VA VB VC, all antiquated and should be scrapped. Bring back the categories for the licenced racers.

as for the seeded groups, if you put in the time and do the qualifiers you will get good seeding. no point in griping about slower riders or corporate groups.

Still an awesome race, the views and scenery were just great. Pity it got so HOT.

another thing: If you come around for a second lap, please don't carry on like a hooligan passing slower riders on the left or try to take the turn at Boyes Drive like you did the first time. You will also wait your turn at the water table like everyone else. Please don't go up to the water point to fill your girlfriend's bottles and then try to pass it to her while riding.

So if you don't take cycling seriously then nobody else is allowed to? I train hard for a sub 3, just to see it stuffed up by organisers who have all the information available to seed people properly, but choose not to. They do not advertise this as a fun ride - largest time race in the world.

I sympathize completely with the back markers in the seeding, most of the celebrity batches are tackling the ride without any training at all. I know people who rode without training in these batches. You could be trying to ride a sub 4 hour yet have a wall of people walking up every hill in front of you.

The organizers are arrogant, try to talk to them when you have a problem, their attitude is that if you don't like it, they don't need you.

Like I said, it is a fun ride.

So if you don't take cycling seriously then nobody else is allowed to? I train hard for a sub 3, just to see it stuffed up by organisers who have all the information available to seed people properly, but choose not to. They do not advertise this as a fun ride - largest time race in the world.

I sympathize completely with the back markers in the seeding, most of the celebrity batches are tackling the ride without any training at all. I know people who rode without training in these batches. You could be trying to ride a sub 4 hour yet have a wall of people walking up every hill in front of you.

The organizers are arrogant, try to talk to them when you have a problem, their attitude is that if you don't like it, they don't need you.

Like I said, it is a fun ride.

Nope I never said no one else is allowed to take it seriously. But everyone is moaning with the people who go slow, like I said everyone starts somewhere, and I do take cycling seriously, I am hooked on it and was also really gunning hard for a good time. My point is just that with 30 000 riders, you have to accept that there are going to be people who may not be taking it as seriously as you are, and will slow you down. It comes with riding the argus, when you enter you know where are thousands along side entering too and it will never be perfect for everyone.

since seperate start won't work unless they go off at 3am(not such a bad idea)have they every considered a seperate finish for the elite ladies? couldn't be that hard to cordon off another road in sea point for 20 minutes. make them do the last 2kms on their own separately.

another thing: If you come around for a second lap, please don't carry on like a hooligan passing slower riders on the left or try to take the turn at Boyes Drive like you did the first time. You will also wait your turn at the water table like everyone else. Please don't go up to the water point to fill your girlfriend's bottles and then try to pass it to her while riding.

ja, okes pushing their wags the whole way up hills is kind of lame.

since seperate start won't work unless they go off at 3am(not such a bad idea)have they every considered a seperate finish for the elite ladies? couldn't be that hard to cordon off another road in sea point for 20 minutes. make them do the last 2kms on their own separately.

ja, okes pushing their wags the whole way up hills is kind of lame.

When I was struggling to keep up with the rhino on Suikerbossie I'd have paid one of them to push me .... :eek:

Maybe they should have it over two days...make a whole weekend of it ..have a

lekka festival going..?

Road closure on the first day for the top guys.. ..Sat..max 3 hours..could be partial..?

Then Sunday I can take my full seven hours and enjoy it.. :lol: and more.. :whistling: :whistling:

I think first of all it is one massively great race! Did my first one on sunday and got my sub 3, managing to not get caught in any of the big crashes around me. I dont think they need to cordon off the finish for the ladies, they spent 110km with the men so why cant they do n final sprint with them? I think the best thing would be to make a rule like in ironman (no slipping) for the elite ladies, let them do their own thing. Then they wont get caught up between testostarone junkies in the final sprint.

Personally I love the Argus! Great race!

Edited by NeillUngerer

Did my first one on sunday and got my sub 3, managing to not get caught in any of the big crashes around me.

Kudos ... well done. Still after my first sub-4. Had half a hope to get there this year, but legs didn't have it in the heat.

Only done 2 Argus. 2009 blown away and 2012 - swerved in front of while flying down Oudekraal. Very lucky only grazes so managed to finish with his front wheel.

Has anyone thought of doing it backwards? Steep windy (curves not gusts) hills while fresh and awake in first 30km. And a tail SE home on the flat. (?Too narrow thro Camps Bay for large bunches, but could start further out?)