Cost of MTB stage events

slabs

True but remember you perceive the value for money becuase you dont have money to waste on non valueable (in your opinion) things. If you did for instance have a couple million lying around getting bored, paying 50k for a stage race is about the equavelant of going to buy a pair of work pants.

Personally Im nowhere near Epic or DCM level yet, which means i have loads of time to find a sponsor :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Towers event looks like great value. Pity it is the same weekend as the Midlands Ultra Tri

Just had a look now, for the Challenge you are riding only 50km/ day, that to me is not good value. So for a extra R500 you get to ride an extra 50km, huh. Not sure what the type of riding is like.

If I decide to do this one I would be very happy to have only 100 or so riders on the route with me as well as a preferential start to the K2C. Looks like I can wait until the route profiles are released to make a call on this.

Quick hands up: How many of you's would have paid R1000 extra for lunch and a tented Village? That would bring it right into line with W2W, Isuzu 3 Towers and Sani2C (I'm not putting this race into that category yet as I have not seen what the route looks like). Day 1 around Wittedrif may present itself with some great single track sections, possibly some that is not open to the public normally. Day 2 will be a Groot Trek accross the mountain to Uniondale and day 3 will be a glorified road race from Uniondale to Knysna. One thing is sure: If you are training for Pioneer you'd be more than tempted to tackle this one as a training camp.

i am keen on this one,i know the area quiet well and really enjoy riding there,i think day 1 could involve part of the red route in harkerville (not sure of that)

plus DrEvil knows those parts of the world very very well and i am glad to see that he won't be setting a killer course but an enjoyable route with achievable distances.

i think there are a few wives or woman that this will appeal to ??

Just had a look now, for the Challenge you are riding only 50km/ day, that to me is not good value. So for a extra R500 you get to ride an extra 50km, huh. Not sure what the type of riding is like.

The riding is brilliant. Tough climbs, sick single track, bush tunnels, bits of the mega-avalanche course on day 3. As good as it gets. Do it (full, not the baby one).

The Grape Escape ran at a huge loss this year. Double the fee, half the entrants. Costs around R 2 Million to organise.

Route was crap last year, so a big fee increase and prospect of another crap route made them see their .... . Route was great this time , I hear.

WOW! thanks for mentioning Cycle Mashatu - I am so going to do this!! :clap: Never heard of it! ....oh the wonders of a forum!

How much does Cycle Mashatu Cost if anyone has info on their pricing?

After bitching that they dont have their pricing on the website, i was told to mail them to get the pricing, well mail sent hours ago and no reply, so im still happy to bitch about websites in SA not displaying a price on a page.

How much does Cycle Mashatu Cost if anyone has info on their pricing?

Northern Tuli Game Reserve is where herds of elephant, giraffe, wildebeest and zebra have roamed the dramatic, rugged landscape for thousands of years. Ancient elephant paths provide the cycling ‘single track’, which interlace a mosaic of undulating savanna, riparian forest, rocky outcrops and wooded floodplains. Cycle Mashatu (an independent company) offers 4 days of guided 'mountain biking free-riding at its best'. Ride super buffed game paths, sleep under the starlit skies, encounter big game and explore the ancient Lands of the Giants.

http://www.mashatu.com/IMAGES/Mountainbike2.jpg

Duration: 3 nights, 4 days

Start/end: Pont Drift Border Post, South Africa.

Rates: R4356.00 per person.

Departures: Tuesdays and Fridays, all year.

Please note no children under the age of 12 years

are permitted on mountain bike excursions.

Itinerary

Day 1: Meet at Border, ride to wilderness camp

We meet on the South African side at Pont Drift Border Post at 13h00. Once done with border formalities, we prepare our bikes, load the support vehicle and enjoy a light lunch we bike to our 1st wilderness camp. After an exhilarating afternoon ride we arrive to chilled drinks, a hot bucket shower and a wholesome dinner. Our temporary, low-impact, fully equipped wilderness camp provide for an unforgettable nights rest after a hard days ride. Meals are prepared on open fires. Starlit skies and night sounds will awaken your senses, and a night under canvas will inspire your instincts.

Day 2: Explore

After a night under the stars, awake early to fresh brewed coffee and breakfast, prepare bikes and head off to uncharted terrains. Discover new skills as rocky outcrops, sandy riverbeds and open plains test biking abilities. We’ll break for a tea/drinks stop along route and arrive back at camp for lunch. A welcome afternoon siesta follows. The late afternoon will bring the chance to ride or drive to a nearby sundowner point.

Day 3: Ride to Kgotla

Today brings a new dawn and we bike out towards Kgotla, our last camp. Testing terrain and changing landscapes make for a great ride. A pasta lunch and hot showers welcome weary legs and an opportunity to sit back, relax and savour that sense of achievement. After an afternoon of leisure, we head off for a short walk to a nearby cliff for a sundowner. Return to an open fire prepared meal, fireside chatter and restful nights sleep under the stars concludes the safari on a high.

Day 4: Departure

Breakfast on Day 4 brings an end to the safari with a departure by vehicle to Pont Drift by 11:00.

Northern Tuli Game Reserve is where herds of elephant, giraffe, wildebeest and zebra have roamed the dramatic, rugged landscape for thousands of years. Ancient elephant paths provide the cycling ‘single track’, which interlace a mosaic of undulating savanna, riparian forest, rocky outcrops and wooded floodplains. Cycle Mashatu (an independent company) offers 4 days of guided 'mountain biking free-riding at its best'. Ride super buffed game paths, sleep under the starlit skies, encounter big game and explore the ancient Lands of the Giants.

Itinerary

We meet on the South African side at Pont Drift Border Post at 13h00. Once done with border formalities, we prepare our bikes, load the support vehicle and enjoy a light lunch we bike to our 1st wilderness camp. After an exhilarating afternoon ride we arrive to chilled drinks, a hot bucket shower and a wholesome dinner. Our temporary, low-impact, fully equipped wilderness camp provide for an unforgettable nights rest after a hard days ride. Meals are prepared on open fires. Starlit skies and night sounds will awaken your senses, and a night under canvas will inspire your instincts.

After a night under the stars, awake early to fresh brewed coffee and breakfast, prepare bikes and head off to uncharted terrains. Discover new skills as rocky outcrops, sandy riverbeds and open plains test biking abilities. We’ll break for a tea/drinks stop along route and arrive back at camp for lunch. A welcome afternoon siesta follows. The late afternoon will bring the chance to ride or drive to a nearby sundowner point.

Today brings a new dawn and we bike out towards Kgotla, our last camp. Testing terrain and changing landscapes make for a great ride. A pasta lunch and hot showers welcome weary legs and an opportunity to sit back, relax and savour that sense of achievement. After an afternoon of leisure, we head off for a short walk to a nearby cliff for a sundowner. Return to an open fire prepared meal, fireside chatter and restful nights sleep under the stars concludes the safari on a high.

Breakfast on Day 4 brings an end to the safari with a departure by vehicle to Pont Drift by 11:00.

Thanks Kranswurm :) I did notice your link after I posted this.

Thanks Kranswurm :) I did notice your link after I posted this.

And the other 3 they offer?

lol thats the price for the one tour, they do Mashatu, gold rush, oddyssey and corporate tours too.

lol thats the price for the one tour, they do Mashatu, gold rush, oddyssey and corporate tours too.

How the hell must I know......ask them...do I look like google?

We are talking about Mashatu in Botswana.If you want to go to Pampoensvlei,thats your business.

Itinerary

That looks the bomb :thumbup: :drool: :clap: