Muslims riding Sani 2 Sea 2012

Bin Laden

Here's an interesting quote:

Quran 2.173[4] which states:"He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, then is he guiltless.

I'm guessing Sani2C not providing approved food would be a necessity - surely the eaters are off the hook then? Guiltless in the Quran's words...

Its not a neccisity to do the S2C so surely the OP would rather supply his own meals if not catered for him. Neccessity surely means in a life or death situation. Personally my religion is more important than a race.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not a neccisity to do the S2C so surely the OP would rather supply his own meals if not catered for him. Neccessity surely means in a life or death situation. Personally my religion is more important than a race.

And necessity in this case is being stranded on an island with only an islamically unlawful thing to eat, this, then becomes permissable if it will sustain your life a long enough to be rescued.....

Like I said, this was discussed before, although more in reference to a muslim cyclist training whilst fasting.

It's (to me anyway) not a place to start bashing if or why they should be fasting.

Training while fasting is not prohibited but you are making your ability to fast harder and breaking your fast then would be wrong. If you are travelling over long distances you are not compelled to fast but then should fast a day back after the month of fasting and you may do so before the next year as is done if you take ill.

I am sure the OP does not intend to make the organisers job more difficult by requesting the Halaal meals. Its at the organisers discretion whether he will comply or not. It was a request not a demand. Religion is as such a voluntary submission not a burden. . Ask any devout Christian, Jew or Muslim etc and they will say that following their religion makes their life better and its not a burden to carry.

Now that I can agree with. As long as it's a request not a demand than I have no issues with any dietary requirement, choice, obligation or whim.

Ahh if only the religious mass agreed with your last comment. Alas it's been my experience that most religious people carry their religion around like a masochistic weapon - telling all and sundry how they suffer for their god and how wrong we are not to believe. Not a very good sales job in my opinion...

You have a refreshingly diffirent approach to religion - thanks!

Slight hijack, but what the hell... oops...

I found that story quite interesting for two reasons. One, he doesn't want the sponsor on his jersey, but indirectly (directly?) he gets paid by them through the sponsorship money. Double standards? And two, the Muslim player from Australia whose name I can't remember didn't have a problem with the beer's logo on his shirt.

Not stirring, just thinking out loud.

Can the OP perhaps post the reply from the organisers?

You will probably find that Castle (SAB) don't mind too much as it's one player and it tends to bring more publicity to their brand than if he actually just wore the logo. Their stance might change however if there were two/three or even four players who elected not to wear their branding. It appears that Amla is quite strong in his beliefs. If you watch the drinks breaks you will only ever see him kneeing/sitting when eating or drinking (another Muslim belief I believe).

Training while fasting is not prohibited but you are making your ability to fast harder and breaking your fast then would be wrong. If you are travelling over long distances you are not compelled to fast but then should fast a day back after the month of fasting and you may do so before the next year as is done if you take ill.

I lived in the middle east for a number of years (even got locked in a Saudi fast food outlet whilst the staff went off to prayer) and the parts I struggled to understand that after the "breaking of the fast" at sundown they would party until the early hours of the morning, get up and go to Mosque at dawn and then be too tired to work during the day. I did enjoy the 9-2 working day though.

You will probably find that Castle (SAB) don't mind too much as it's one player and it tends to bring more publicity to their brand than if he actually just wore the logo. Their stance might change however if there were two/three or even four players who elected not to wear their branding. It appears that Amla is quite strong in his beliefs. If you watch the drinks breaks you will only ever see him kneeing/sitting when eating or drinking (another Muslim belief I believe).

+1

SAB will be seen as politically correct, tolerant of other religions and "good" if they allow Amla to not wear their logo. Amazing how less is sometimes much more in marketing and advertisiing!

Thanks. It was only for my interest. Same type of "grey" question can be asked of any group and/or religion. I was just thinking that SAB pays sponsorship money to CSA for which it is accounted for as revenue and the players' salaries are deducted from that revenue, hence my indirect SAB-pays-Amla question.

It's like me saying, I don't want Giant to sponsor my road bike, but give it to the bikeshop, which takes off the stickers, and let them give it to me to race with.

And I'm (and I'm sure everybody) is still waiting for the OP's post regarding the organiser's response.

I lived in the middle east for a number of years (even got locked in a Saudi fast food outlet whilst the staff went off to prayer) and the parts I struggled to understand that after the "breaking of the fast" at sundown they would party until the early hours of the morning, get up and go to Mosque at dawn and then be too tired to work during the day. I did enjoy the 9-2 working day though.

I remarked earlier that in all religions and cultures that there are those who interpret things to suit themselves.

I remarked earlier that in all religions and cultures that there are those who interpret things to suit themselves.

too true.

Now that I can agree with. As long as it's a request not a demand than I have no issues with any dietary requirement, choice, obligation or whim.

Ahh if only the religious mass agreed with your last comment. Alas it's been my experience that most religious people carry their religion around like a masochistic weapon - telling all and sundry how they suffer for their god and how wrong we are not to believe. Not a very good sales job in my opinion...

You have a refreshingly diffirent approach to religion - thanks!

Thank you Eldron. I am a Muslim and my religion has taught me to discuss my religion with others and thereby have them make an informed decision as to what is right and wrong. A mention was made earlier why religious books have not been updated. The Quran has never been changed and though I have questioned, I have always understood and seen the reasoning of the Quran's teachings. I follow because I am not submissive but because I understand. Buzzman put it perfectly earlier by saying that we are only passing through this world and we prepare for the next.

Thank you Eldron. I am a Muslim and my religion has taught me to discuss my religion with others and thereby have them make an informed decision as to what is right and wrong. A mention was made earlier why religious books have not been updated. The Quran has never been changed and though I have questioned, I have always understood and seen the reasoning of the Quran's teachings. I follow because I am not submissive but because I understand. Buzzman put it perfectly earlier by saying that we are only passing through this world and we prepare for the next.

Stop it! You're ruining the American's justification to stereotype you the bad guys in movies :D

Training while fasting is not prohibited

Yeah, the guy that came here asked was after advice on training and nutrition whilst fasting. He didn't want to lose too much fitness.