Greg Minnaar Sets The Track Alight On First Day Of MTB World Cup

Matt

fantastic ride by Greg, but boy, did he lose quite a bit of weight. He looks almost gaunt! but to reinvent himself like this and beat gwin at his own game.. PERFECT!!!

hotdamn, this season started off with a bang! Gotta love sick mick being back at his near-best.

He has been doing lots of XC riding for training, he kicked arse at a recent race. Must have been over the flat section where he picked up some time as he was 2 secs down on the first section.

first split - 2 secs down

second split - 1 sec

third split - win!

was an awesome atmosphere today! walked up to cloud 9 with @grebels during the practice and stayed there till the first few guys, then made my way down to the big crowd for the last 20 odd guys - brilliant stuff!!

Had a fantastic day! Met Stretch near the bottom and walked up to Cloud 9. What a section. These guys have b@lls. Waited for the first few ladies and the started to make my way back down. Sorry to the other hubbers that I was supposed to meet at 12 in the beer tent. We were at Cloud 9 at 12. If you did get to Cloud 9 I am sure you will forgive us for not coming back down!

Well done to Greg!! Fantastic ride!

Had a fantastic day! Met Stretch near the bottom and walked up to Cloud 9.

at least i got to put one face to name!

at least i got to put one face to name!

I was at the beer garden @ 12.15pm after the interviews at the grandstand.

He has been doing lots of XC riding for training, he kicked arse at a recent race. Must have been over the flat section where he picked up some time as he was 2 secs down on the first section.

Greg's been known to do lots of riding, road and XC, so I wonder what's changed. All the WC riders to a LOT of roadie/XC mileage, obviously some more than others.

Still curious to know how he mixed it up. maybe he changed nothing, who knows? But as he said in that interview: he knew he was down, but just cranked and refused to sit until he had crossed that finish line. Man, i'm so damn glad someone, especially a saffa, put some serious margin into Gwin. There, i said it.. again :P

ja - timing wasn't right - @grebel and I were about 3 k's up the course at cloud 9! :D

First time I watched the downhill and man it was WOW! Those guys fly and I'm sure the course is even worse in real life than what the TV shows. I would probably have fallen around every corner and over every root.

Well done to Minnaar - legend with lots of BMT.

ja - timing wasn't right - @grebel and I were about 3 k's up the course at cloud 9! :D

And after that walk to the top, I wasn't going to walk down and back up again!!! We will have to make a plan to do a social ride sometime. I haven't been on a bike for nearly six months so it will have to be an easy one...

Sho what a weekend, Lots of walking/climbing but man the atmosphere was awesome had goosebumps all the way. Great weekend. Congrats Greg and Burry you made us Proud