The Notties-Himeville 100

Devlin Fogg

So Dangle, what ratios would you select now, with the luxury of hindsight? Or would you just go 3 x 10 like us mere mortals? Respect dude!

Hi Ti

I would probably take a 34/19 next time, I had the 34/18 on Saturday.

I still think that on that route one will always be over or under geared.

I reckon on 1x9 or even 1x10 I would have had a much better fighting chance.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. Firstly, well done to every one who finished the race. It turned out to be a lot more testing than I thought it would be and lots of folks dug deep to finish. I was at the back of the race for the last 20kms and saw some real guts.

Plenty folks have been asking about t-shirts for the race and I would like to explain what happened.

When I registered and started organizing the race, I did so completely out of my own pocket and despite trying with over 30 companies to attract a sponsor, I failed.

Being a first time event and completely unsure of what the entries would be like, I had to make a judgement call, based on information from ROAG on entries for other first time events, and remove certain costs from the event budget.

You may find this surprising but T-shirts was the biggest cost item on the budget and while I had managed to get close with a t-shirt sponsor, this also did not materialize so it was struck from the budget.

I myself have a sizable box of event t-shirts that I never wear and most of them end up with my staff, so I took that as a sample of fellow competitors.

The association with Safire was struck 8 days before the event, leaving no time to be able to effect anything meaningful, so while it was initially advertised, I was not able to achieve this and I apologize.

I hope that people enjoyed the event non the less and bragging rights never die. I look forward to taking in all of the comments on the Hub, adding them to my notes from the event and delivering an awesome event in 2013.

Cheers and see you at Sani.

Devlin

Hi everyone. Firstly, well done to every one who finished the race. It turned out to be a lot more testing than I thought it would be and lots of folks dug deep to finish. I was at the back of the race for the last 20kms and saw some real guts.

Plenty folks have been asking about t-shirts for the race and I would like to explain what happened.

When I registered and started organizing the race, I did so completely out of my own pocket and despite trying with over 30 companies to attract a sponsor, I failed.

Being a first time event and completely unsure of what the entries would be like, I had to make a judgement call, based on information from ROAG on entries for other first time events, and remove certain costs from the event budget.

You may find this surprising but T-shirts was the biggest cost item on the budget and while I had managed to get close with a t-shirt sponsor, this also did not materialize so it was struck from the budget.

I myself have a sizable box of event t-shirts that I never wear and most of them end up with my staff, so I took that as a sample of fellow competitors.

The association with Safire was struck 8 days before the event, leaving no time to be able to effect anything meaningful, so while it was initially advertised, I was not able to achieve this and I apologize.

I hope that people enjoyed the event non the less and bragging rights never die. I look forward to taking in all of the comments on the Hub, adding them to my notes from the event and delivering an awesome event in 2013.

Cheers and see you at Sani.

Devlin

Thanks Devlin - i enjoyed my day out

How would this route compare to day 2 of Sani2c in terms of toughness? Would it be correct to assume that if you finished this race comfortably that you would not have problems on Sani?

Hi River Rat. I rode Sani a few years back so I am not sure about the new Day 2 they are talking about, but I reckon yes, if you managed the SNH100 comfortably, then Sani would be ok, assuming you bounce back from day 1 ok. Eat eat eat. Will be there and looking forward to it.

How would this route compare to day 2 of Sani2c in terms of toughness? Would it be correct to assume that if you finished this race comfortably that you would not have problems on Sani?

its a different type of "toughness" (day2 sani). the first 30 odd kms is all single track down to the river, then you virtually climb for the next 60 odd kms, the climbs are not as long as the notties but some are steeper and rutted, you will have to get off and push now and again.

all in all, if you managed the notties fine then you should also not have a problem with day2 ...BUT you will feel it, try make sure you can get in a massage if they still have open timeslots. ALSO remember it will be the second day of riding so you will not be as fresh as you where on saturday..

Thanks Devlin - i enjoyed my day out

Same here.

@Devlin I wish you all the success for this event going forward.

I kept thinking of the Karoo 2 Coast whilst riding and had a very enjoyable day out.

One request, get a SingleSpeed category :thumbup:

As Werner said, it's a different toughness, but I will stick my neck out and say that if you could finish this, you will find day two of S2C very doable.

Thanks Dangle, it will be interesting to swop notes here after the Sani2c on how they compare, as I think this might give the Notties a unique place on the calendar as the ultimate prep race for Sani.

As a marker I really used this race as a training ride and I made sure my average heart rate was 10% below my normal race pace ( If I could call my crawl that). I did not feel fatiqued but I could feel the distance accumulating in my legs so it will be interesting to reflect on the Sani in this context once completed.

Thanks Dangle, it will be interesting to swop notes here after the Sani2c on how they compare, as I think this might give the Notties a unique place on the calendar as the ultimate prep race for Sani.

As a marker I really used this race as a training ride and I made sure my average heart rate was 10% below my normal race pace ( If I could call my crawl that). I did not feel fatiqued but I could feel the distance accumulating in my legs so it will be interesting to reflect on the Sani in this context once completed.

yep - i went for a 60km spinner today - and i could feel my legs did some work on Saturday. I think a massage is in order

Just wanted to say as a roadie who is making the transition to the Mtb, I found this event to be an awesome experience! I have done countless multiday road tours &many Comrades..& I put this event right up there in terms of enjoyment &atmosphere. I am training for Trans Karoo in 2 weeks time & I am sure this event will have prepared me well for Trans Karoo.

Devlin, well done for staging such a great event. It would have been nice to have a tshirt or medal, but I'm sure we all understand the preicament you found yourself in with regards to sponsorship & budget. Thanks for a wondferful event &all your effort!